Fly? Bee?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Fly? Bee?

Post by wishiwere »

I thought a horse fly, but have not ever seen one, and the only horses here are about 1 mile away. Although I ride over near some now, and maybe he hitched a ride to the herbgarden? UGLY thing! Looks nasty up close and I'm not afraid of bees, but didn't want anything to do with the likes of him! :eek:
Attachments
DSCF7097-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF7097-copy_edited.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 892 times
DSCF7096-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF7096-copy_edited.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 892 times
DSCF7091-copy_edited.jpg
DSCF7091-copy_edited.jpg (24.51 KiB) Viewed 892 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Annie

Re: Fly? Bee?

Post by Annie »

I've seen these and no they aren't horse flies. Don't matter if you live in the country or not horse flies are EVERYWHERE!

But anyway on to your bug :)

Could it be this??..
http://www.cirrusimage.com/hymenoptera_ ... anicus.htm
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

YES! That is what it is! Uglier than ugly! It was about 1 and 1/2 inch long and horrid looking! Next time, he/she is going to DIE! UCKY!
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

Don't kill it! It is just trying to live its life :(

G
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

But it kills katydids! Isn't it a bad bug? Surely looks bad! :(
Man.... I ususally let things live, but this thing should really move on....i mean WAY on! It's got a whole field...why my garden :( Maybe I'll just trim back this oregeno....That might do it! Although the bees love it too! :(
Okay, fine then...but he better be gone when I'm out there! I'm sure if he's a wasp, he'll bite huh? Those legs look deadly enough with all those barbs :(
Annie

Post by Annie »

wishiwere wrote:But it kills katydids! Isn't it a bad bug? Surely looks bad! :(
Man.... I ususally let things live, but this thing should really move on....i mean WAY on! It's got a whole field...why my garden :( Maybe I'll just trim back this oregeno....That might do it! Although the bees love it too! :(
Okay, fine then...but he better be gone when I'm out there! I'm sure if he's a wasp, he'll bite huh? Those legs look deadly enough with all those barbs :(

Your posts are making me laugh :lol:

But really just think, a lot of things kill katydids. It's called nature :)
I have seen them, and we had lots of them out in the country! But they never bothered anything, like me hehe.

I would look on the ground where you see it. They live in holes under ground. If it's close to the house I would plug the hole up. She will move on :)

Oh and wasps don't bite they sting :lol:
And their legs have nothing to do with biting or stinging... Don't get upset with me but I'm sitting here laughing, oh your making my day already this morning :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hey, if I can brigthten someone's day with a laugh, so be it! My day is better. :D

I'll let her live IF she leaves me alone, k? My only dislike is ants really. B/c of the lymph nodes I've had removed this last year, I'm at a risk for serious stuff with bites, cuts and burns, so I hate the thougth of any little creature causing that, but.....The ants have in the last few years really taken to me, so they are the ones I'm NOT happy with. It's scary when you think you're dizzy b/c the earth looks like it's moving beneath your hands, only to realize it's covered in ants and you are now bitten all over! I shook my gloves off one time last year and one flew to my tongue. I swear, between grabbing it with fingernails and scraping my tongue with my teeth, the little bugger WOULD NOT let GO! Hate those things! :evil:

So....now that you are thoroughly rolling on the floor and possibly peeing in your pants, I'll sign off and go cut the oregano back! :D

Nice chatting with you...even if I was being laughed at! :lol: BRAT! :D
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Wishiwere! I think I am a budhist (OK I know that is not spelled right :lol: ) at heart! I do understand your reasoning and I agree, if it stings you, then it has attacked first and you have the right to defend yourself! I don't think it will though. I have them here and they never have bothered me, even when I am messing in a plant and there is one right beside me :D

G
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, the only time I see him, is on the herbs I let go to seed (big mistake) but the bees and butterflys like it so much............ so I'll cut them back and maybe she will go away to the compost pile with them! :D Just for you my dearest! :roll: :lol:
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

:D

G
New Topic Post Reply