Last bug and one I am killing!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Last bug and one I am killing!

Post by wishiwere »

These buggers for the last few years have invaded the house in late summer. Every night, I pick them off the ceiling. I've noticed, you don't see them till it gets dark outside. We have window A/C, so I've been using 'Home defense' that the last 2 nights just around them. They still get in! They are like little beetles I think. Don't seem to bite, and don't like the light, and hm....haven't seen them anywhere, but on the ceiling, disappear during the day! What are these things, how are they getting into the house and what can I do to prevent that! They don't move fast, I use a plastic cup and climb on a chair and just slide it across and they fall into it. When I get a few, I flush them and start over! They don't seem to like it cool, which is why they head to the ceiling, I think. Man, I hate these things! Any ideas, suggestions?

In this pic, I put it in a glass and the bottom had a little water in it, so it reflected bad, and the picture isn't clear. Then again, he's BLACK and we know how well that photographs! :( They are about 1/4" long. Thanks dears~
Attachments
DSCF7414_edited.jpg
DSCF7414_edited.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 848 times
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: Last bug and one I am killing!

Post by nanny_56 »

Boy chasing all these bugs keeps you busy all day long! :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, like I said, this one is only out at night after dusk. Drives me nuts though, b/c to get to sleep I have to hunt, or I lay thinking they are on the ceiling! :eek:

And these are the only ones I catch. The others are just watched :D
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

aaah.... :roll: :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Looks like what I call a weevel. Does it have a snout like an aardvark? If it does then it looks just like the bugs that crawl on the floor in the clinic occasionally. I had one bite my knee though, through my scrubs.

Perhaps they are getting in the same way the swarms of ladybugs do in the fall. God only knows where that is.

Sounds like you need Orkin. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Gardentoad

Post by Gardentoad »

I don't know what it is for sure but if it's a weevel, you'd better start checking your pantry.
Weevels get in cerial, pasta, bread, cookies, flour, corn meal, dry beans, any grain product. I got them a couple times because I brought them home in dog biscuits once and another time in birds seed. they will chew right through cardboard, wax paper and plastic bags.
I had also found small bugs in the past in an old jiffy cake mix. It hadn't been opened and the package was intact, but my mother told me that the mix can still contain eggs and if you keep it long enough they'll hatch. She said that was the original reason for sifting flour.

I keep all my dry food in jars now unless I know I'll use it up quickly.
Never before have so few with so much promised to take away so much from so many and then laugh their asses off as the so many with so little vote for the so few with so much.

---James Pence
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh NO! It does appear to have a snout! UCKY POO!!!!!!!!!!! Why are they on the ceiling then instead of the floor or cupboards? I don't get it! I've not seen any in the pantry or foods, I always watch this time of year when we start getting these, just be/c I know it can happen and their presence makes me wonder...but I've seen none in any food areas, except on ceilings!
New Topic Post Reply