Twin Fawns

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Twin Fawns

Post by nanny_56 »

I had just about given up hope of seeing any fawns this year. The deer have really been staying out of sight this summer. But this afternoon I got a wonderful surprise on my walk...the second one is still in the shadows on the upper right.
DSCF3747 (Small).jpg
Here we are!
DSCF3748 (Small).jpg
Already to go now!
DSCF3749 (Small).jpg
Looking for trouble I think...
DSCF3752 (Small).jpg
DSCF3752 (Small).jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Twin Fawns

Post by Chris_W »

Wow, those are really clear pictures! Were you hiding in the bushes while you took these shots :lol:

Personally I'm not too happy with the deer population here. We have several regulars including one buck that just hangs out here all the time and seems more curious about us than anything else. Brian and I were working on the chicken coop the other night and this buck came within about 20 feet of us and just stood there watching us, almost like it was checking out what we were doing. Yesterday it came up to the back of the house and scared the heck out of me when I came out the door - but it didn't move, just went back to eating grass and weeds back there :hmm:

He is getting to be a pretty good sized 4 point buck, and if he continues to hang around here I don't think he will be back after hunting season. Lots of hunters hit the nearby properties in the fall, but with a population of about 20 deer here over this past winter I won't feel bad if they take out some of them. But they sure are cute when they are young like yours ;)
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh, they are just adorable! :D Great pics!

My mom and dad used to have a summer home in Wisconsin on 7 acres, mostly wooded. My dad was a gardener too. I'll never forget how mad he would get when he would plant things and come out the next morning to find them nipped off by the deer. He still loved to watch them though. :wink:
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

LOL Chris!!

Actually I am standing in the road, believe it or not! I had been on my afternoon walk and had just turned the camera off and looked up and there they were! This vacant lot has been one of their favorites to hang out in, but it had not been mowed all year. They finally mowed last weekend, so it is like a little meadow for the young ones to play in.

The yard that borders this one at the back is owned by a guy who collects hostas! :eek:
DSCF3750 (Small).jpg
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Muffy
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Muffy »

They are the cutest things....great pics!!!
In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends.
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

great pics, Claudia!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Great pics! I've never realized how big their ears were!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Annie

Post by Annie »

Oh I missed this thread!

Great shots :beer:

I think they are soooo pretty!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
New Topic Post Reply