New form of wildlife or alien?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Trink

New form of wildlife or alien?

Post by Trink »

Hello everyone,
I do think that this is the first time I have posted. My wonderful friend, Wishiwere steered me in this direction. I think she sent some of her crazy bugs my way here in CT. Today I discovered this HUGE bug on a tree in my backyard. :hmm: He never moved although I admit I did not get any closer than necessary using my zoom. I would say it was about four inches in length from top of head to tip of tail. What looked like a tail (or a HUGE stinger! :eek: ) was yellowish. Looked like his underbody was same color. His body seemed to stand away from the tree near the bottom. I do not want to see any more of his relatives but would really like to know what it is. Thank you!!
Attachments
Backyard Bug 08-08-08
Backyard Bug 08-08-08
IMG_1065.JPG (49.18 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
*If a man speaks in a garden and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?*
newtohosta-no more

Re: New form of wildlife or alien?

Post by newtohosta-no more »

Hello Trink! Congrats on your first post! That's an interesting little bugger. :lol: I'm not good at IDing things , but just give it a day or so and someone will know. I'll be watching this post to see what the answer is. :wink:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Muffy
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Muffy »

Hi Trink...
I never realized how many beetles there are...LOL. This is the closest to yours I can find. Maybe the same family but can't put a name to your bug...LOL.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/54359
In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends.
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi!

I don't know what kind of beetle it is, but I'll keep looking for you. This is a female, though, and that "stinger" is actually a tube used to lay eggs called an ovipositor.

If I come across the beetle ID I'll post again :)

Chris
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I don't know what kind of beetle it is, so I'm no help. I'm really relieved to learn that that isn't a stinger! :eek:

Just wanted to say 'Welcome to the forum!' :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Trink

Post by Trink »

Thanks Chris! And thank you to everyone responding! How interesting, I've never heard the word "ovipositor." I hope she isn't planning on raising her family near that tree! LOL
I look forward to any more information on my new neighbor. :)

Trink~

Chris_W wrote:Hi!

I don't know what kind of beetle it is, but I'll keep looking for you. This is a female, though, and that "stinger" is actually a tube used to lay eggs called an ovipositor.

If I come across the beetle ID I'll post again :)

Chris
*If a man speaks in a garden and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?*
Trink

Post by Trink »

Thank you Joan!
I can't believe it took me over three years to post. :hmm: I've certainly had many gardening questions over the years! Now I'm going to bookmark this site in my daily favorites.

Trink~

newtohosta-no more wrote:Hello Trink! Congrats on your first post! That's an interesting little bugger. :lol: I'm not good at IDing things , but just give it a day or so and someone will know. I'll be watching this post to see what the answer is. :wink:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:roll: Bout time you posted young lady! And it's been OVER 3 years since you first signed up! :lol:

That is one HUGE and ugly bug you have there! I'll mail you the ones I've posted, so you can add to your variety there in Ct! :D
Ovipostitor is a new one for me too! Interesting! Very Interesting! Oh, keep him there in Ct, K? We'll just observe from our post here! :D Thanks dear!

So glad you finally REALLY joined by posting. It's addicting though, I'll warn you! :D

Besides the cool site, the forum are the friendliest, most fun and supportive group of people on the net! Just watch for Lucy Goose....she's kind of our resident .....wellll... You know :wink:
Welcome Trink! :D
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Welcome to the forum Trink, even though you aren't really a NEW member. :D No help here with the bug id either.

Thanks Chris for teaching me something new today. It's quite often that I "learn something new everyday" right here.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

wishiwere wrote:Just watch for Lucy Goose....she's kind of our resident .....wellll... You know :wink:
Welcome Trink! :D
Now Missy....that was not nice...... :lol: ....I have been bad here this last week or so.....not posting much or even getting to read that much.....But if your Jane's friend.....well, I guess your okay..... :lol: .....Just kidding!! :lol:

Welcome!!! No help with your bug from me either.....sorry..... :???:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:roll: Okay, I'll be nice.... :wink:
Yes, she's a sweetie, I met online 10 years ago! We've never met in person, but have been freinds since and never far from one another in heart and soul! She knows me (too well sometimes) and like you, tends to 'mother' me when it comes to health and safety! :D
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Well, it is called the broad necked root borer, and from what I've been reading, if I saw one I would kill it. The females typically live about 1 week out of the soil and deposit 300 to 500 eggs into the soil at the base of nut and other trees (is that a walnut tree yours is on?) Here is a web page about them: http://www.forestpests.org/hickory/broadnecked.html

If you see another one, I would use an organic insect control on it, like the heel of a shoe ;)
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:eek: OH NO! I'll call her today! Oh my, oh my! Thanks Chris!

Have to admit, though I had a belly laugh with that organic pest control method you suggested! I can see her having her dh do that one! :D Thanks everyone for you inviting nature to a great gal! :D
Trink

Post by Trink »

Ohhhhhhhhhh good gross!!!!!!!!!! :eek: I'm not sure what the tree is. I'll take a photo. I have seen very few (like 4 or 5 over 11 years) nuts on the ground in that area. The kind that have the hard peel over the light tan nut. We called them Hickory nuts when I was a kid but I don't know if that is correct. I have not seen this creature since that day but only looked briefly a couple of times. It rained all day yesterday so we didn't get outside. As for your organic insect control....LOL...that is sooooooooo gross! I have trouble squishing ants ...for the grossness. Please tell me another way. Oh who am I kidding, I will never do it. I will have to get someone else to do the dirty job for me. I actually have a three year old boy in my daycare group who lives for killing insects. Problem is I preach to them about being "kind to nature" so I can't exactly ask him. :lol:
His Dad was with us when we discovered the alien and I'm sure he'd help out. I printed the info you included. Looks like I'll be on patrol for awhile.
Thank you sooooooooooooo much for all your help! Maybe I can get Wishiwere to run over here and help!!!! :)

Chris_W wrote:Well, it is called the broad necked root borer, and from what I've been reading, if I saw one I would kill it. The females typically live about 1 week out of the soil and deposit 300 to 500 eggs into the soil at the base of nut and other trees (is that a walnut tree yours is on?) Here is a web page about them: http://www.forestpests.org/hickory/broadnecked.html

If you see another one, I would use an organic insect control on it, like the heel of a shoe ;)
Trink

Post by Trink »

wishiwere wrote::eek: OH NO! I'll call her today! Oh my, oh my! Thanks Chris!

Have to admit, though I had a belly laugh with that organic pest control method you suggested! I can see her having her dh do that one! :D Thanks everyone for you inviting nature to a great gal! :D
LOL!! I got your message! You are so right....I'm not doing the deed!!! Can you do it for me?? I'd ask DH in a heartbeat but as Wishiwere knows, he is currently undergoing chemotherapy treatments and it doesn't take much to make him queasy! He had a hard time looking at the photo I took. Of course that has nothing to do with chemo...he's never liked bugs anymore than me. LOL

Yeah, I loved that organic pest control line...I WILL get to use that one down the road sometime. LOL :lol:
Trink

Post by Trink »

wishiwere wrote::roll: Okay, I'll be nice.... :wink:
Yes, she's a sweetie, I met online 10 years ago! We've never met in person, but have been freinds since and never far from one another in heart and soul! She knows me (too well sometimes) and like you, tends to 'mother' me when it comes to health and safety! :D

And do you listen to LucyGoose any more than you listen to me?? Somehow I'm a wee doubtful. ;-) It's really great to meet all of you. Wishiwere raves about this group! One day she and I will meet in person. She's the best! I don't know what I would have done without her in the last ten years. ESPECIALLY this year.
Hope everyone is having a spectacular afternoon!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

:wink: Nope! Rarely listen to anyone but that little voice in my head! :lol:
But back at you sweetie! This last year with you and this group at Hallsons, would have been my downfall for certain! That's another reason you all needed to come together.....right now......over me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
Trink

Post by Trink »

wishiwere wrote::wink: Nope! Rarely listen to anyone but that little voice in my head! :lol:
But back at you sweetie! This last year with you and this group at Hallsons, would have been my downfall for certain! That's another reason you all needed to come together.....right now......over me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :D

Awwww, I just love ya Janey!! :wink: I can see this is a great "neighborhood" and I'm going to learn so much here! I should mention to everyone that I am not an accomplished gardener like Janey by any means. I refer to myself as a "wanna-be-great-gardener." I'm learning and boy has she taught me a few things over the years. I am fortunate enough also to have a sister who grows the most incredible gardens. In fact she has spent all her spare time this summer putting in gardens for friends. This year I put in my first (small) veggie garden. I love it although again...still learning. I definitely planted things too close together. My son, my 100% organic earth-child is going to be part of my veggie garden experience next year. Since he has only a small space currently he said he would help me put in a larger one and we can grow together. I'm so excited about that.
So this evening I walked out to my veggie garden and picked a HUGE zucchini and a couple other things. Then spotted this creature on a tomato leaf. Looking further I found a second one with what looked like rice pellets all over him. As I told Wishiwere, I was so looking forward to rice for dinner tonight but will probably not eat it again for a long time. So my son called toight and I described them and he knew exactly what they were of course. He told me to "put on my big girl gloves" and remove them from the plants. YUCK. I will do so tomorrow though. I can be brave for my maters. But what is with the white stuff all over this ugly critter?? And what are they called? I can not remember what Chad said. I need to keep a scrapbook I guess if I'm going to learn all this. :lol:
Attachments
Creepy Crawly
Creepy Crawly
IMG_0046.JPG (50.42 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
creepy crawly with yuck
creepy crawly with yuck
IMG_0050.JPG (39.06 KiB) Viewed 1566 times
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oh gosh! Someone will know, but not me! I'm thinking I remember the rice being either eggs of it's own or another creature that uses it as a host for it's own eggs? Not sure though....probably way off base!
Trink

Post by Trink »

wishiwere wrote:Oh gosh! Someone will know, but not me! I'm thinking I remember the rice being either eggs of it's own or another creature that uses it as a host for it's own eggs? Not sure though....probably way off base!
So it can be like a "surrogate worm?" :lol:
Well, whatever they are, I am bagging them and taking them to the dump! Just can't do the squishing thing. :???:
I have sooooooo enjoyed browsing this forum and looking at some beautiful photos! The information here is wonderful!
Have a great weekend everyone! :D
New Topic Post Reply