This little piggy went to the market!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

This little piggy went to the market!

Post by wishiwere »

This is our resident Woodchuck, (groundhog) Whistle pig or other such names he goes by! Seems to feel my deck and patio are his own personal resident now. Here's he's got his eye on Stan and eye on HIS patio and wondering if we are staying long! UGLY thing! This is the offspring of the larger and beastlier version that we've had under the big shed out back for years! Hm....wonder what he did to gain the old guys territory? :eek:
Attachments
DSCF7732.jpg
DSCF7742.jpg
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Re: This little piggy went to the market!

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

I think he's kinda cute, but I'm sure glad he's not in my garden! :o
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

There is sooooooo much construction going on around us, that all the critters are looking for new digs and since I keep a pretty nice 'natural' area, they seem think that it's only NATURAL for them to be a part of it!

The last 2 days, I've come out back to find the pappa sitting in the platform feeders. The ONLY reason I went out was be/c of the birds complaining so loudly from the trees and bushes, that I thought one of the ferral cats were around. HA! the yoke was on me! Big ol' fat buggard sitting atop , eating away!
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

He is kind of cute!! Are they destructive like raccoons and other critters? I know we have them around here.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I heard or read that the 'winter' home can be huge( like from 8' deep and 10-20 feet long :eek: ? Think shallow 1 car garage here :o ), and even threaten the integrity of a home foundation. Fortunately, the older one (not in the pic) had taken up in the last few years under the old shed out back, and never came too close to the house. Now they've built a college extension on the back 40 acreas, and about another 80 acreas, they've done a small light industrial park, so a lot of the animals habitat is being uprooted. Can't blame them, but.....makes for some close quarters for those of living nearby. Coyotes, deer, these, oppossums, raccoons yes, many owls and other birds are left without. Sad really. :(
As long as they LEAVE the home area alone, I'm okay, but this little one has taken to the deck/patio area and may not be long for this world if he decides to start building in the home area. We've got 2 acreas of land he can have and then another 40 beyond us, with a forest of area beyond, so ....he just needs to get his broker to find him something more suitable south of us in the forest! :D
New Topic Post Reply