I Have a Butterfly!!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

I Have a Butterfly!!

Post by nanny_56 »

My Question Mark eclosed today!!! I did get a few pics for right now. His wings have to dry and get hard before I turn it lose! They are so pretty when they are fresh! These really don't show how pretty it is.
Attachments
DSCF5635 (Small).jpg
DSCF5638 (Small).jpg
DSCF5638 (Small).jpg (35.05 KiB) Viewed 761 times
DSCF5642 (Small).jpg
DSCF5642 (Small).jpg (35.49 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: I Have a Butterfly!!

Post by govgirl75 »

He is magnificent!
Do you raise butterflies? How did you come across him? Did you find his cocoon and bring it in or did
he somehow manage to build it in your home. At any rate, are they not so enjoyable to watch? :D
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I found 2 different caterpillars on the same day outside along my roadside. Just happened to see them on their respective plant leaves. One was a Question Mark & the other a Black Swallotail (BST). This was my first attempt at raising butterflies. It has been a lot of fun and I will try it again!

I used shoe boxes to keep them in. Stand on end and cover the open side with some fine screen or such. Duct tape that to the box. In the back cut a flap door so you will be able to get food in and put papertowel on the bottom to catch the frass(poop). That makes clean up easier. I used the the Oh ..the like net material the use on girls clothes...petticoat stuff..off of a old halloween costume. The Disney Belle one from the Beauty & the Beast! :lol: You can see it in the pic. It needs to have small holes, if they are to big they can get out depending on size of your cats!

Butterflies have a chrsysalis, moths have a cocoon.

Here is a link to some basic information http://www.wikihow.com/Raise-Butterflies
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

That is so cool! I've got to do that next year!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

WOW AGAIN CLAUDIA!!!
New Topic Post Reply