Winter, IL=Robins?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Winter, IL=Robins?

Post by Annie »

Well I know this weather is confusing, but Robins in central IL, this time of year???

Took this yesterday, there were several around!

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Winter, IL=Robins?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Annie,

It shouldn't be surprising. Most Robins don't actually fly south for the winter and stay around all winter long - people just don't tend to notice them that much until the spring thaw. So when people say that spring is here because they are seeing Robins I always get a bit of a chuckle out of it since the Robins never left, they are just starting to notice them again ;)
Annie

Post by Annie »

Well who knew!? :lol: :lol:
I didn't LOL.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Chris, you're taking all the fun out of the Spring ritual of seeing the "first" robin, as a harbinger of spring. :D

Another Myth . . . Busted!!!
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

JaneG wrote:Chris, you're taking all the fun out of the Spring ritual of seeing the "first" robin, as a harbinger of spring. :D

Yeah, really!!! :evil:

No, just kidding! I actually noticed a few robins here the other day and was surprised. So I didn't know either that they stay around.
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Linda P

Post by Linda P »

Here's an interesting page I found about robin migrations. They do migrate, but not all of them leave, and they don't go as far as many of the other birds.
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/robin/ ... ation.html
I know they gather in flocks, I've seen them out in our pasture, where they have access to the neighbor's property which is overgrown with multiflora rose. When my friend and I used to go out to gather rosehips, we would often see really huge flocks of them. Once the rosehips were gone, the robins would be gone also.
I have a lot of fruit-bearing trees and bushes in the yard, and I have seen flocks of them come in January to clean off the crabapples, etc.
Linda P
And time remembered is grief forgotten,
And frosts are slain and flowers begotten.....
Algernon Charles Swinburne

Latitude: 41° 51' 12.1572"

My Hosta List
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

We are seeing lot of robins around this winter. We moved here January 07 which was a harsher January and Feb. and didn't see any here until March. Last year (08) starting seeing them mid-late Febraury, the same time the Blue Birds start popping out of the woodwork. Though they are here year round too.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

JaneG wrote:Chris, you're taking all the fun out of the Spring ritual of seeing the "first" robin, as a harbinger of spring. :D

Well shoot! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was jsut thinking the same thing walkin up to the bus stop to get the kids yesterday... there were a ton of robins around!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply