Owls

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Owls

Post by kHT »

For the past few weeks we have been watching them come and go in the trees to the east of us. I see them really early in the morning when I get up
but we can't find them when we go out to look, but today I was able to get a back side shot with the new camera x10!! These things are huge and what a
mess they are leaving! Beautiful to watch and we try to keep the dog out of the back area.
Attachments
Can you find it?
Can you find it?
The mess!
The mess!
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Re: Owls

Post by Annie »

OH cool!! I love owls :)
Heck I would be happy to get a picture of the back of one!

Are you finding what they call owl pellets in your yard yet LOL? We use to find them in the woods growing up and we dissected them to see the little animal bones in them. They are little pellets they throw up after they eat. It's what they can't digest, sounds gross, but pretty interesting I think.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
kHT

Post by kHT »

Annie, I was warned to be on the look out for them. So far, no. These trees sit inside the neighbor's property and it's
easy pickin' there as they do nothing to up keep plus there is a puppy mill there. I'll keep an eye out.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Can't tell from the photo, but what kind of owl... and what are you trying to keep under the tarp? :) Should be getting close to Great Horned Owl breeding season. I used to hear them start up around Feb in MN. Never saw one though, as hard as I looked. :)
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
kHT

Post by kHT »

Hey Spider, I keep all my plastic and netting in this area just east of the shed. It sits on timbers/lumber to keep them dry.
It is my understanding this area has horned owls and there is a pair. I wish I could get a better shot, I have been working on
this for 3 weeks now. I go out every day when I let the dog out to check on them. These are huge and to watch them fly in is
impressive! We have eagles in this area so I'm on watch for them also. We even have a couple herons that stop in but I don't shoot
them, guess I'll have to start?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

How big are your dogs? I can't remember.
But if they are small do be on the look out when you have them outside. I had a little dog that was almost owl food one winter! If I hadn't been watching she would have been gone! As it was I was watching her out the back door while waiting for her to do her thing LOL. I saw movement and before I could even think of anything I was running out the door and almost fell on her because a great horned owl was coming in for dinner :eek: I remember looking up and seeing his 2 feet aimed right at my face as I was laying on "Honey" my dog to protect her.

I love owls though, but when I see them I always remember when one of them almost had my dog for dinner LOL.
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

If you are lucky enough to find any "pellets" make a medicine bag and put it inside then either wear it or keep it on you somewhere. They are good medicine according to some Native American tribes.

Ginger
kHT

Post by kHT »

Annie, Mitzy is sort of a small dog and we learned long ago to watch her and now let her out until it's
light due to the other night animals we have in our area.
Ginger, I have a request from one of my Native friends so I'm really watching now.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
New Topic Post Reply