Manatees

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Manatees

Post by Spider »

It was a freeze warning last night so we went out to the power plant today to see the manatees grouped together in the warm water the power plant generates. Normal water temp was 64, manatee water 75-80 degrees. They were much more entertaining than I expected. They were spraying water, doing flips, and splashing. There were even little ones out there.

Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: Manatees

Post by nanny_56 »

I just love Manatees...my brother used to see a large number somewhere clsoe to where he lives (S.E. Fort Myers) but over the years the population really fell off due to the boats.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

OHHHHH!!! One of my favorite animals!!
I have several pics of them too :)
On one of our many trips to Florida my stepson took us out to a spring somewhere down there :) And there were tons of them!!
I really wanted to go down the steps that was there and pet them LOL. But it wasn't allowed. I understand why it wasn't, but that didn't stop me from "wanting" to :lol:

They are one cool critter :)
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

:eek: :eek: :eek: Oh wowee.... Oc loves Manatees, thank you so much for posting,,,,,,OC :D :D :D
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Primroselane

Post by Primroselane »

Oh Thanks for posting, when we were in Florida, we use to go there everyday and watch the Manatees. they are so fascinating. Thanks what a joy to see these pictures.
Lucille
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

gotta like the manatees....

The zoo here in Columbus has a couple and my daughter always want to go see the "mermaids". :D
New Topic Post Reply