Wildlife Prairie park

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Wildlife Prairie park

Post by Annie »

Went to the Wild life park today :)
For those not from here, this is a park that only has animals that are or were native to IL. It's a really nice place.
The animals were having a very lazy day LOL.

A few pics I got there today.

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Annie

Re: Wildlife Prairie park

Post by Annie »

If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Muffy

Post by Muffy »

Nice pictures Annie! Looks like mine too. Wonder why???? HaHa!
In joy or sadness, flowers are our constant friends.
- Kozuko Okakura
~~Bev~~
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Lol!

How did you get such clear photos? Did they not have bars or chain link? My zoo photos were very difficult to get because of the bars. I got one shot of the Clouded leopard, but only because he was sleeping and it took about 10 minutes of focusing on bars! Forget about the cougars.

Excellent shots! Everyone does look sleepy (except the birds of course!).
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Looks like a very cool place!!! Where is this located???
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Annie

Post by Annie »

Muffy, I think our pictures look a lot alike because we were standing beside each other :lol:

Yep, they are in chain link fences, the birds are like in a big aviary surrounded by wire. For some reason my camera will focus out the fences! If I focus on what ever is inside the fence, the surrounding fence just disappears LOL. I love it when I can do that :)

The park is in Kickapoo or Edwards (2 very small towns), IL. It also rehabilitates hurt wild animals and releases them when they are well. If they can't be released they keep them. It's REALLY nice out there.
For a while they were going to shut it down with a bunch of other parks in IL. But then we got a new governor, thank god! Now they are staying open :)

~~Annie~~
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Those are spectacular photos, Annie!

I bet there's a contest somewhere you could win with those!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

I love that place, it's been probably 3 years since I've been there. For those of you not familiar with it, it's not a zoo in the classic sense. These animals are in large outdoor enclosures, you walk the paths through the woods and prairies to see the animals in their natural habitat, sometimes it seems like they are hardly caged. There is a big meadow with bison or buffalo of some sort. If you are within an hour or so drive, it's worth a visit.

My nephews are 4 and 6 now, I'll probably take them this summer since they are old enough to handle all the walking without wanting to be carried or pushed in a stroller.

Here's a link to Wildlife Prairie Park. Interesting story because it was started private and stayed private for many years. When the founder got older it was turned over to the State of Illinois. Naturally, it's been in financial trouble and under threat of closing ever since the government got involved!! I noticed in the newest issue of the Illinois Park Handbook they list it as "Rutherford Park" or something with Rutherford in the name, which is the name of the founder.

http://www.wildlifeprairiestatepark.org ... /Itemid,1/
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

I think the fox photo should be entered in the photo contest! He is cute as a button!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Great pictures! I agree about entered several of them in a contest somewhere. The fox is great as is the bald eagle.. good job!!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Tracy_Zone5

Post by Tracy_Zone5 »

Annie,
Great pictures. My daughters school mascot is the cougar and she loves your picture.

I am looking at getting a new camera and want to know what kind you have. That feature that will focus out the fence is really cool.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and thanks for the info.

Tracy
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Excellent!!
New Topic Post Reply