It's batty around here!

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Dusty

It's batty around here!

Post by Dusty »

Literally!! :lol:
I woke up yesterday morning about 4:30 and could see a blob out my bedroom window... it was still dark so a little hard to tell what it was. As the sun came up, I went back upstairs to see and from a distance, it kind of looked like a frog. I thought, How the heck did a frog get to the 2nd floor and wedge himself between the screen and the window??? :-? Yes the screen was pulled down about 2 inches.. but still. As I get closer, I realized it was a bat!! :lol: A baby bat but still a bat.
So.. last night about quarter to seven I went up and he was moving.. very little. My houseguests and I all gathered in my bedroom to do the bat watch.
He would make slow movements.. shuffle his position a lil. Then just hang. At one point, we all thought he was going to make a break after slowly climbing to the top of the screen.. nope.. he slowly re-hung himself upside down. Stretching.. yawning... He really was taking his time waking up. 8:00 hits and you'd have thought the coffee kicked in. Boom bamn! He was up and at the top of the screen, leaned over then flew off. Aunt Flo.. said hurry shut that screen before he comes back.. we all discussed while watching, how he got there, why he was there, will he get sunburned. I joked that I bet all his bat friends prob. thought he'd met with an untimely death.. being "out" all day!
Well, I had to know if it was an accidental thing or not.. so I left the screen. I get up this morning about 5.. sure enough, he's back!! :lol: Luckily he didn't bring any friends.
I'm calling all my friends who have little kid's to come over tonight and watch him. It is quite facinating to get such an up close view. You can see everything very well.
In the mean time, I think I will go buy a bathouse and hang it over there... maybe between the 2 windows.. I really don't know for sure but the lil guy can't be moving in.. I do like to open that window.
I must say I was surprised he was back, I really thought the 1st night was just a fluke. I sure wish I could get in his head for 5 minutes so I could know what on earth posessed the guy to pick my winow screen for his new home.
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved."
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: It's batty around here!

Post by Spider »

You realize photos are in order! :) That is so cool, thankfully your not the type to flip out about it. Bats need more friendly places.

Bat House at the park:

Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That's cool!

We have lots of bats around here during the summer months, but I've never seen them up close. I don't know where they live, but if you are sitting outside at dusk you can see them zipping thru the trees overhead. They are very fast!
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Well the bat house I am looking at isn't anywhere near that size! :lol:

Yesterday the sun was out and it was warm.. 62ish. A friend of mine brought her kid's over after school, they had a 1/2 day. She use to babysit my kids when she was a teen... then had kid's and now my kid's babysat her's.. :lol: I imagine her kid's will babysit my grandkids if I ever get any... Anyhow... They got here about 1 and she used her camera to snap pictures. My camera uses a floppy disk and these computers these day's don't come with them anymore.. so I have to decide what to do about that. At any rate, she is going to get them to me via email so as soon as I have them, I will post the picture.

Anyhow.. about 3 ish, I went upstairs to change my shoes and the bat was gone. I am guessing with the sun at the west, he was getting sunburned.. too much sun, whatever.. I didn't see him fly off. He was not there this morning. I hope to have a bat house up by the end of the weekend.. even though Ty doesn't want me to. He say's then we'll have more bat's. Umm.. yeah that's a good thing here in the boonies.

Trust me, I would have freaked out if he were inside the house! :lol:
Bathouses are kind of costly!
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Not to throw ice water on this deal, but....

Keep in mind that bats are strictly nocturnal. If you have one that is flying around much during the day, it may be a problem. Bats are big carriers of rabies, and if you find one out during the day that is a big red flag that something is wrong with it.
Charla
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

We just have the little guys during the summer. They hibernate in caves in southern Indiana for the winter.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I know.. we fought rabies here 10 years ago. We still do not have many racoons.. the rabies took them out years ago.. I remember one charging my car... I actually swerved to hit the poor guy.

This guy wasn't a daytime dude.. just slept in the wrong spot. Poor lil fellow.
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Okay.. got the pics.. now I have to figure out how to upload them..
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hmm.. I'm trying! lol
Attachments
house 060.jpg
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Awww, his toes are so cute!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Annie
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Annie »

Aww I think they are cute!
Don't get many opportunities to get these guys in a picture!
If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn. ~Andrew Mason

~~Annie~~
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

:lol: I thought he was cute too! I have some pic's that are closer up but I have to figure out how to re-size them... as soon as I do, I'll post the close up's.
~Dusty~
- ô¿ô -

eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Cute litte dude!!! I like his toes, too, Spider! :lol:
Charla
New Topic Post Reply