Afternoon deer....

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

steg
USDA Zone: 5

Afternoon deer....

Post by steg »

I was in the back and just happened to notice a mother and 2 babies walking around. We don't usually see them in the middle of the day so it was a little funny. The kids got a kick out of it. :D :D

I didn't get the mothers best side....it was requested that I not post that one :lol: :lol:
Attachments
DSC_0200_sm.JPG
DSC_0200_sm.JPG (104.65 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
DSC_0200_crop.JPG
DSC_0200_crop.JPG (109.65 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Re: Afternoon deer....

Post by Chris_W »

Cute but scary when you grow hostas :eek:

A few weeks ago I kept hearing rustling near the edge of our hosta area and saw a couple ligularia plants moving. Went over and there was a baby fawn curled up underneath them. It jumped up and bounded through the hosta rows - not sure who was more startled by the encounter - me or the deer :wow:

It was very cute, but being worried that it might take up residence there I got out the liquid fence the next day, went down and sprayed that area, and once again it jumped out and scared me a second time. Not sure if they really recommend spraying liquid fence directly on the deer, but it hasn't been back since :lol:
steg

Post by steg »

Chris_W wrote: Not sure if they really recommend spraying liquid fence directly on the deer, but it hasn't been back since :lol:
Does that mean it'll go around complaining that no other deer will play with him???? Does liquid fence glow? :lol: :lol:

Our yard is fenced (not tall enough to keep the big ones out) while a lot of the neighborhood is not. It headed back down to the river later and more cover. We've been here 5 years and I've never seen deer in our yard or even close until now. That's the second time this year.

I still have more trouble with the rabbits - particularly the small ones that crawl right through the fence! :evil:
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

They roam where I live too...I love when i come across a fawn or two. Haven't seen any fawns yet this year.
Nice pics!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

One afternoon last summer, my husband was putting down mulch in the front of our house. He had the odd feeling something was watching him and when he looked up there were two does standing just a few feet away, WATCHING him. Gave him a real start.
We see them more in the winter. They come up to the back of the house and eat the bird seed the birds have raked from the feeder trough.
We have been pretty lucky in that the deer have not bothered the garden, yet.
As for rabbits, I hate to even mention this, but cats do keep them at bay pretty well. We also have fox and coyotes, so not so many rabbits eating the plants. We used to have a lot of rabbits and they were always desperate to get into the vege garden, especially when the green bean plants were just up. I stood one night watching a rabbit throw himself against the chicken netting we had used to fence the garden with. He would do a couple body slams and then use his nose to see if he had loosened the fence at the bottom and try to squeeze through. We had dug down and buried the bottom of the netting and pinned the bottom in the bottom of the hole. No green bean plants for him. :lol:
newtohosta-no more

Post by newtohosta-no more »

That "wascelly wabbit"! I guess you showed him! :lol:
My neighbor saw a deer out back the other day, but it went right back into the cornfield when it heard a noise. I know there are plenty out there and I hope they stay away from my hostas! The other neighbor suspects the deer have been into his garden recently, as the tops of his plants had been eaten. Those darned groundhogs are a big garden problem too. They can eat an entire row of beans lickety split! :evil:
~JOAN~
My Hosta List

Tomorrow is promised to no one, so love and laugh today.
Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Post by Ginger »

I guess I am really lucky or the dogs keep the deer at bay because we see them just about every day. We have watched two does raise their twins and triplets over the last two years and now are seeing what we think is one of the twins with her babies. My yard is fenced, but just around the house, and my hosta are sitting outside the fence so they could munch away if they wanted, but they never come that close. I love watching them so I am glad I don't have to chase them away.

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
New Topic Post Reply