What's this insect?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

What's this insect?

Post by Herb »

When I first saw it on the ground (in our garden in Victoria, British Columbia) I thought it was some sort of Grasshopper, but when disturbed it just flew away. To my surprise, it's wings looked rather like the shape of wings that a Butterfly or a Moth might have - with a distinct pattern to them that looked a bit like a moth's wings - but the wings on this insect moved much faster. With it's wings folded, its colour is just like in the picture that I got later when it landed on the roof of our garden gate -

http://www.pbase.com/mtu_fulani/image/115988642

Now that I have the picture, I can see that it doesn't have big back legs like a grasshopper or locust, so my guess is that it isn't either of them. Can anybody tell us what it is?
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: What's this insect?

Post by Spider »

Adult grasshoppers can and do fly. That's a grasshopper - don't know the specific kind, but that's what I'd call it. :) I haven't seen one that specific color though.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Herb

Re: What's this insect?

Post by Herb »

Thanks, Spider - I think you must be right. I Googled an image search for 'immature grasshopper' and found some that look very much like the one in my picture. I think I was mistaken to say it didn't have big back legs - now that I look more closely at my picture of it, I think it does have big back legs - but they're folded parallel with its body.

Herb
New Topic Post Reply