I thought orioles left for the season?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

HostaDesigner

I thought orioles left for the season?

Post by HostaDesigner »

Saw this in mid-August?? I haven't seen an oriole for months, unless this is some other bird I'm not aware of. :???:

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: I thought orioles left for the season?

Post by nanny_56 »

Probably just one from up farther north lagging behind & now migrating south. Mine have been gone for weeks too.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
petal*pusher

Post by petal*pusher »

Very nice pic! I had an extra pair this summer...ALL of them made many visits to my hummer feeders....even tho I'd put out an oriole feeder....

I was surprised when they first arrived...as I worked in the yard (B.M.........before misquitoes) I was often flattered by the beautiful LOUD wolf-whistles that I was sure were aimed at me!! I looked over to the neighbors...nobody there...other side of yard...nobody there either...Hmmmmm.

I realized at the next outburst that those clear and distinct whistles were part of a beautiful outburst from the male oriole!! Never heard 'em include THAT whistle bofore! I could always tell when he was visiting my yard...and pushed back a wisp of hair each time he sang to me!..........Pam :wink:
Hosta12_Ia

Post by Hosta12_Ia »

I've had two pair all summer and they are still here as of today. I love them!
Jo
The Garden is a Mirror of the Heart
rosey_posey
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by rosey_posey »

We still have several around the grape jelly and hummingbird feeders. They have been fighting each other for the food, so I'm assuming that this is the last feeding frenzy before they take off for the winter. Where has the summer gone?

Rose
New Topic Post Reply