Catepillar ID anyone? Moths? Butterflies?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

playinmud

Catepillar ID anyone? Moths? Butterflies?

Post by playinmud »

Found these 1 1/2" catepillars curled on the underside of the leaves of a red-twig dogwood bush. Anyone know what these are? They have high-tech coloration, black and white upper portion with yellow bellies and feet. They are not hairy and have no horns or spikes. Sorry the pics are fuzzy, I took them with my phone's camera.

Anyone?

Thanks,
Attachments
caterpillars-06.jpg
caterpillars-06.jpg (46.83 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
caterpillars-07.jpg
caterpillars-07.jpg (35.08 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: Catepillar ID anyone? Moths? Butterflies?

Post by nanny_56 »

My guess would be some type of Tent worm or Army worm. Butterflies do not not lay their eggs in groups.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I'm afraid I really can't tell from that picture. There are quite a few caterpillar ID website out there, but this is a bit fuzzy for me to really tell if this is smooth, fuzzy, or the exact colors for me to look it up. And I have a couple butterfly books around here somewhere, but can't find them now :( Sorry...

Chris
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thanks Nanny and Chris. Sorry about the pic, only had my cell phone on me.

They are not fuzzy at all, they're smooth like an inch worm, only larger, about an inch and a half long. They almost look like they have banding on their white bodies, but it's a series of dots that make up the banding. They have black faces and the "feet" and underside is a bright yellow. Like I mentioned earlier, a very high tech color pallette (black, white and yellow).

Here are a few more pics (again, sorry for the cell phone poor quality).The last one has one at the bottom that is curled up staying out of the hot sun, but you can see the dot pattern/banding. There are some cool worms!
Attachments
caterpillars-01.jpg
caterpillars-01.jpg (44.38 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
caterpillars-05.jpg
caterpillars-05.jpg (32.47 KiB) Viewed 1223 times
~PIM~

govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

It is a striped larva, Macremphytus tarsatus, also called the Dogwood Sawfly.
Glo
Last edited by govgirl75 on Aug 28, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for IDing that one Gloria. Its funny, I had looked up the Dogwood Sawfly but only pictures of the white one came up. Also, in the above pictures I couldn't tell that they were a little fuzzy, so that meant I was going in the completely wrong direction on these.

That does explain why there are so many of them together, like Claudia mentioned they aren't butterfly caterpillars.

I can't believe they aren't doing more damage with so many of them!
playinmud

Post by playinmud »

Thank you! So I guess I should go out and hand pick them off and dispose of them. I had no idea. It's been so hot they weren't eating much. That may change with the cooler wet weather we're having. By the way, they're on the red-twigged dogwood where I work, they're not mine, but I know they'd appreciate the intervention.
~PIM~

New Topic Post Reply