What kind of spider is this????

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

eastwood2007

What kind of spider is this????

Post by eastwood2007 »

Warning! It's ugly!!

Below is it's photo. It is over 5" across with legs. Hard to tell in the photo, but it is very fuzzy. I thought it may be a wolf spider, but it's bottom is too round. Any ideas?

This first photo is a spider that was under the dog house when I cleaned the pen out early this summer...

I'd really like to know what it is, because this second one is a photo of it exiting....my kitchen!!!! :o

....looks to be the same kind....
Attachments
061509 009.jpg
091209 012.jpg
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: What kind of spider is this????

Post by govgirl75 »

I think it is either a wolf spider or fishing spider. They look very similar. They can be told apart by the number of pairs of eyes they have. A wolf has 3 rows of eyes, a fishing spider has 2 rows of eyes. So, ask it to blink and count the eyelids :lol: Just kidding. Both are indigenous to Kansas.
Glo
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I don't know what kind, but it sure is an ugly one :wow:
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Someone suggested Fishing spider, so I googled it and that seems to be what it is....

It appears not to be dangerous as such....except for the heart attack!!!! :eek:

But I HATE spiders!!! Have I mentioned here before that I'm a city girl originally? Snakes don't bother me a bit, but if I had seen this spider in my house 20 years ago, I would have moved last weekend!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

Oh, well, I guess it's just part of living in the country which I wouldn't trade for the world...
Charla
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Post by govgirl75 »

eastwood2007-
You can repel spiders with hedge apples or the fruit of the Osage Orange. The bushes can be found in ditches. along fence lines or on old homesteads. The fruit looks like a green brain ball. Put them in the basement by windows. My mom has used this for years and it really works.
Glo
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, govgirl, but I don't have a basement.

The spider under the dog house was 15' from a hedge tree. I don't think they know about this repellant effect!!!! :lol:

I have heard that it works, though...I just don't have a basement...
Charla
New Topic Post Reply