Very pretty snake - Eastern milk snake

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Very pretty snake - Eastern milk snake

Post by Chris_W »

Found this little guy outside the garage today. Of course, my first thought as I picked it up was I hoped it wasn't a Massasauga rattlesnake - and when it vibrated its tail I started to wonder, but figured it was too tiny to do much harm :lol:

So I set it in a box and got my camera. It has a very pretty pattern. Had to look it up to see what kind it was, and on the DNR website it says the Eastern milk snake will have a distinct V or Y shaped pattern behind their head.

Just a baby :)

Chris
Attachments
easternmilksnake.jpg
easternmilksnake2.jpg
easternmilksnake2.jpg (43.92 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Re: Very pretty snake - Eastern milk snake

Post by nanny_56 »

Oh....that is a pretty one!!! Very cool Chris! But be more careful about picking up snakes... :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

That is a pretty snake!!!! I've seen half dozen little black snakes since I've been digging and tilling my new hosta bed.

My green tree snake made an appearance this year, too. I like him...my husband hates snakes so I hope he doesn't find him...
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

Beautiful snake! I've never seen one of those. I've seen a lot of black racers around here, even as close as the bush at the base of the stairs. Sure had the attention of all the anoles!! But with the poisonous ones, don't let size fool you, the babies pack as big a punch as the adults - and can be more potent!
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
audre
USDA Zone: 5

Post by audre »

wow chris! what a beautiful snake. those colors are like some tropical fish down on the coral reefs!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

I'm thrilled to have such a diverse snake population here, as I'm sure it helps to keep the mouse and vole population down a little.

I caught it first, then thought how the markings are a little similar to our native rattlesnakes, and when it started to vibrate the tip of its tail I took a very quick look to see if there was a rattle. Nope, no rattle. Yup, that was still kinda dumb :lol:
steg
USDA Zone: 5

Post by steg »

I've heard that the little guys are much worse on a bite if poisonous. They haven't learned to control how much venom, so they give it their all. :o

Cool looking snake though. Thanks for the pic and name.
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

Chris be CAREFUL WHAT YOU PICK UIP............Down here in the south, we have Copperheads, which we do not mess with. Fortunately they are brown and tan blotches so
that that are easy to identify. THe last year I planted plants in my raised beds, we found a 6 footer coiled in the bed. I had kids cleaning out weeds from the beds to get ready to plant. I was on my little 3 wheel scooter, which I not even allowed to think about using any more, I saw the snake about the time the kid screamed. I got the kid to slowly back out of the bed, and her brother killed it with a shovel, and threw it back into the woods that suround our house on three sides.... I guess that's what we get for living where we do..., Thanks for
the beautiful photos................... Coot
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
New Topic Post Reply