Bird ID?

Discuss garden critters and wildlife, good or bad, such as birds, mammals, insects, etc.

Moderator: Chris_W

steg
USDA Zone: 5

Bird ID?

Post by steg »

Couldn't tell what this little guy was, but he/she was pretty pissed I was anywhere near the nest with little ones... :D

Boy did I get an ear full from it!
Attachments
bird_1.JPG
bird_1.JPG (31.26 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
bird_2.JPG
bird_2.JPG (34.93 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Re: Bird ID?

Post by Spider »

House Wren, well, some sort of wren, it's tough to get photos of them lol. :) They do give you an earful and are fun to have around.
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

Probably a house wren. If it has a white stripe over its' eye, it is a Carolina wren.
House wrens have a wonderful, loud song. I am always amazed so much sound can come out of such a little thing. However, they are extremely mean birds. They will destroy nests, eggs, and nestlings of other birds, including chickadees, bluebirds, and other wrens. We have a pair that return every year to a birdhouse in our yard. It was not too much of an issue until this year when a pair of chickadees nested in a nearby birdhouse. The wrens were relentless in pulling apart the nest and deviling the parents while they were brooding. The wrens even went after the fledglings. We will be taking the birdhouse down so the wrens don't come back next year.
Gloria
steg

Post by steg »

Could have been a Carolina Wren...I've seen lots of those at our house. This was at my SIL's house.

Really like the Carolina Wren when it sings. This little bird was not signing. Kept flying all around the tree I was parked near. I could hear it's babies in the bird house nearby. That bird was fasts going from branch to branch and letting me know I should leave.

Thanks for the help. :D
To the world you may be one, but to one you may be the world.

My List: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=48366&p=425413#p425413
govgirl75

Post by govgirl75 »

As an addendum to my above post. My little dogs hate squirrels and frequently tree them in the locust trees behind the house. This morning, a hapless black squirrel got trapped in the tree and the darned house wren started dive bombing and pecking the squirrel all the while chattering in a clearly angry way. The squirrel kept trying to come down the tree, but the dogs were there and as soon as he climbed up, the wren attacked. Poor squirrel ended up hunkered down in a fork while the wren went nuts and the dogs circled below like sharks. That wren house is coming down this fall. I did bring the dogs in to give the squirrel an out.
Gloria
New Topic Post Reply