The Stout Silver Medal

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

bobbo

The Stout Silver Medal

Post by bobbo »

of 2004 goes to Moonlit Masquarade. Congrats to Jeff Salter.

This is my first year being a Daylily Garden Judge, Garden judges are who vote all of American Hemerocallis Society awards. I voted for Moonlit Masquarade.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi bobbo!!

I don't have that one. I really don't have many compared to a lot of people....(not much room).....

Do you have it personally? I'll have to go look it up.

Thanks! :D
jay dee

Stout medal

Post by jay dee »

Hi Lucy - Actually your middle picture on your summer picture thread is very similar to MOONLIGHT MASQUERADE. The petal color on MM is a cream and has a dark eye. It is a great all round plant and does well all over the country. I have never seen MM have a bad hair day. It is definitely to add to a garden.

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Hi jay dee!!

That second picture is (I'm pretty sure) is Canadian Boarder Patrol......I really like that MM, and It just got wrote down for a possible mini spring order.....I'll have to wait to see what daylilies Chris is going to have this spring, then go from there....It sure is a pretty one!
Annika

Post by Annika »

Hi bobbo ......... and Welcome !
I don't have MM but will consider adding it to my garden ( even though I generally am less fond of the eyed varieties ). If you have time, please elaborate a little on why you voted for it and what you thought of the other cv's. It is always very interesting with personal observations.

Annika
bobbo

Post by bobbo »

I didn't copy the ballot so now I don't remember what other cultivars were candidates. I grow MM so that is one point, any cultivar on the list that I don't grow or didn't see growing this year would be out. I don't see me voting for Salter plants each year, but any plant by them will get consideration for sure, I really like all their work. Which isn't to say I don't like others,
( Stamile,Kaskell,D.Hanson,Talbot etc)
I had struggled to stay in our local daylily club the first year I was in it,I joined in January, missed most of the meetings during bloom season, and unlike many who progress to the point of joining a club, I basically wondered into it from the garden center of a building center and was wondering why Daylilies were so expensive( 6 bucks).The second year in the club, we went to a region 10 meeting in Memphis and I arranged to take my wife along, ( the club furnished the transportation.) She had no involvement up to that point,( she has been an officer a few years since)and it was funny, she said "so we're going to look at flowers in someones yard, that we don't know, and you're calling that a vacation!"Once she got there,there was no looking back, and finally at one of the gardens she asked," who are these Salter people? I like everything they do." She really has an eye for daylilies, once she sees them labeled she can recognize them. Some time later we went to hear Jeff and Elizabeth speak. I've ordered from them and Elizabeth answered the phone. If you get their catalog they seem to be more reasonable in pricing their new stuff, our buying follows the new stuff by about 10 years , that would make another post. I will admit a preference for all of the Salters plants.
jay dee

Stout medal

Post by jay dee »

It was a close race for the Stout this year with the runners up being - BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS, PEGGY JEFFCOAT, FOOLED ME and KING KAHUNA.

If you want to see pictures of all the winners, go to the AHS website and they list all the winners with pictures. You can also find winners since '06 there also. www.daylilies.org, click on awards and enjoy the pictures.

jay dee
jay dee

Stout

Post by jay dee »

I really should proof read before I hit submit - you can find the winners all the way back to 1996 NOT 1906. Sorry -

jay dee
John

Post by John »

jay dee, link is not working for me, can you post another? Oh and, I thought of 2006, never even thought about 1906! MM is one I know and like, happy it won.
bluegrassmom

Moonlit Masquerade

Post by bluegrassmom »

This is one that I have admired and after hearing it received the Stout Award, I ordered a multifan clump.

I like to look at the AHS Polls to see what are the favorites of other people.

Congrats on being a judge this year

Teresa in KY
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

John, try this one.

http://www.daylilies.org/
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

I have it and I really enjoyed it last year as it has now turned into a clump with lots and lots of blooms!!! :D
New Topic Post Reply