Purple D'Oro and Rosy Returns - Everblooming?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Purple D'Oro and Rosy Returns - Everblooming?

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

We just planted these two daylilies (well, we just got them in and planted daylilies that were labeled as such) and I was wondering if I can really expect these to be everblooming, similar to Happy Returns, Black Eyed Stella, and Stella D'Oro?

The first time I saw Purple D'Oro was at Wal Mart a few years ago for $1.38 in a box. When I saw it I figured it was some kind of marketing gimick and passed on it.

Hopefully the plants we started will bloom true. They are unfortunately smallish, single fans, and some of the roots look way to big to be either of these.

Thanks for your input!

Chris
jay dee

Purple D'Oro and Rosy Returns

Post by jay dee »

I have no experience with PDO except on my drive to town and see a gigantic planting of it with STELLA and it blooms for an extended period of time.

ROSY RETURNS is a pink w/eye reblooming variety that is very reliable in the rebloom department. The color is a muddy pink and the rebloom for me, was in the foliage and not very visible but it was there.

I can't comment on the root structure.

jay dee
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

I do not like the color of 'Rosy Returns', Chris. It tends to be muddy, depending on weather conditions. I planted it in a bit of shade, though, and perhaps it would look different in full sun? It starts blooming later than 'Stella de Oro' but then does bloom almost continuously.

'Romantic Returns' has more pleasing color.
Attachments
RomanticReturns2.jpg
RosyReturns2.jpg
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Thanks for the info. I didn't buy a lot of Rosy Returns, and only after they were on sale (they sure were expensive originally!), so now I'm glad I didn't, if the color isn't good. However, Viktoria, that picture sure looks nice! At least if they are true to name and are actually long blooming I'll be happy.

Thanks again,

Chris
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

Yes, Chris, the picture looks good, but I took it in the best of circumstances. I have also noticed that the digital camera "cleans up" the muddy tones in daylily flowers. The flowers actually look like that less than ten percent of the time. 'Romantic Returns', on the other hand, looks better than the picture, all of the time!
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Aud
USDA Zone: zone 6

Post by Aud »

I have had PDO for two years. It bloomed a little after Sella but bloomed continually until Nov this year. It was a very mild fall. The first year it stopped blooming about Sept.

So in my garden I get Stella and PDO blooms from late June-Sept.

It is growing in Afternoon Sun and I fertilize the heck out of my daylilies. I am trying to improve the soil but until it get where it should be I do the Miracle-gro stuff once a month.
New Topic Post Reply