What will this Daylily seed produce?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

What will this Daylily seed produce?

Post by wishiwere »

Will it produce flowers and when? I had a pod from one of mine last year (Minnie Pearl) and planted the seeds, there were 6, and 3 germinated. Will they produce and will they be the same or revert back to what created them. Never visit here much, but might be. I've never picked pods off them before, but thought since I was going to germinate plants, I'd try them :)

Thanks!
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

First, I better tell you be careful here is this daylily forum....It's kinda like the hosta forum, in that THEY WILL GET YOU!! :lol:

As far as I your seeds, I'm pretty sure it takes them two years to bloom....I did some last year (my first time) and I can't wait to see them bloom....And no, they don't look just like there parent....but as far as I have gathered, they will have some of there characteristics. (I think that's how they do).

I hope someone (I'm sure there will be) will explain it lots better than me.... :D

Wasn't it fun watching the grow? I have 9 babies right here in my puter/seeding room.... I got few seeds from tomanyanimals, and I got a few off my Becky Lynn plant that I did myself.....I didn't want to over do it like I did last year....:lol:

Have fun!! :D
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, not sure how 'into' I'll get. You probably don't remember, but I was the one last year that asked if they produced pods! :lol:

FIrst year I ever noticed they did! :)

I had one pod from the plant I was able to grab before they all opened and from the 6 seeds, 4 have germinated from the set planted on St. Pat's day, so that's pretty good I guess :)

But man.............2 years to see what they do? What if I leave them under lights 24/7 with my hosta seedlings? :) Will they flower quicker :) One can dream hey?

Thanks dear, I'll wait for more answers to these new questions too! :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:lol: Yep, they don't bloom that first year.....But hey, it goes quick! :lol: Doesn't matter if they get light 24/7.....still takes them till that 2nd year.... :( .....but just think of that excitment.....:lol: I had given some to rockinCPeg, and hers did great she said.......I'm hoping she gets blooms, too....Can't wait to see.....I might want one back...:lol:

Lucy hoping she is right with this info.... :roll:
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I was cruising through last years posts and think that basicallythat's what they all said. 2nd or even 3rd year :(

Oh welllllllll wait and wait ............ :(

But it will be fun :)
jay dee

daylily seed

Post by jay dee »

Congrats on your seedlings and yes, it will take two years to get bloom, maybe three. Only those lucky people in the deep south can get most of them to bloom in 9 months. They will resemble the parent but won't be identical. Don't grow the seedlings under lights 24/7 - they need dark to utilize the nutrients they make under the lights. Hosta are the only seedlings that appear successful under 24/7 lights.

Have fun with them and we both know, the two years to bloom will pass way too fast.

jay dee
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Oops! Okay then! Into the dark at night for them! :) THank Jay Dee, I'll do that.

Thanks! :) I was so suprised to see green in there, as I just picked the pod, cracked it open and let em dry a day or in an open envelope and then they sat on my desk with many others I got from hosta and some other plants for a few months.

So I was very lucky I guess! Whoohooo! 2006 or 7 it will be then! Thanks again!
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Jane, welcome to the Daylily Hybridizer Club!!!! :D

3 years ago, I planted my first seeds. Had many bloom their 2nd year, but those not planted in the 'Primo' spot didn't bloom. Can't wait to see the 3 yr's bloom and hopefully some of the ones I planted last year.

Daylily babies are like our babies. They pick up traits from each parent. Just like none of our kids look exactly their siblings or exactly like the parents, daylilies do the same.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, cool! 5 of the 6 came up, so I'll guess it's waiting game now :( So when do I put them outside, or are they like hosta and do better inside for a long while? There about 2-3 inches high with maybe 2-3 fans.

Is this one one with the two main coming up, or should I separate them?

Thanks for the encouragement, never even knew they produced seed pods till last summer! :)
Attachments
sorry the pic is fuzzy :(
sorry the pic is fuzzy :(
jay dee

daylily seeds

Post by jay dee »

Congrats on the seedlings - now the waiting game begins. Is the one cell with two seedlings showing, a twin or did you plant two seeds in the cell. If a twin, I would leave it alone. If from two seeds, separate it.

You can plant those outside around your last frost date. Even if it frosts, it probably wouldn't kill them. If you prefer, pot them into gal. pots and grow them in there until later in the summer and then plant in the ground. OR grow them to bloom size in containers.

I guess the bottom line, they are daylilies and tough as nails.

jay dee
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I think it was one seed. I think mind you! :) I've planted so many things and for goodness sakes, didn't take notes on them all. I do know they were planted St. Patricks day, but beyond that? Who's to ever know! :)
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Aren't they cute Jane?? Heck Jay Dee is right, they are tough.....yesterday, I was taking apart last winters (not this past winter but the winter before) seedlings that I never even got out of the tray..... :o :oops: the roots were a bit tangled, but not bad and they just pulled apart.... i told you I planted way, way to many....:lol: I only had two trays like that. The rest I did give away and had others potted in pots.....

Congrats on your babies!! :D
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Well, I'll have to start watching for pods this year! I am sure I've just let the birds get them Other years ;( Oh well! My turn this year! LOL
New Topic Post Reply