What I lost this winter . . . I could cry!

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

What I lost this winter . . . I could cry!

Post by toomanyanimals »

I lost Bombay Bicycle (I had a good 5 fans last year), Thelma Toms is gone, and both Angelic Springs are gone (the one in the garden and the one in the pot.) I also lost Spacecoast Ruffles and She talks to Angels (Rice 2004), Victorian Principles is gone and it looks like Truly Angelic is gone.

I'm shocked! I've only lost one before. This winter we had tons of snowcover, so I wasn't really worried about them.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

Oh, that's a shame tma. :( I hope they are just slow emerging and they surprise you. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Patricia M

Post by Patricia M »

TMA,

I'm so sorry you lost your babies. However, take heart, they might just be getting a late start. Last year, I thought I'd lost Orchid Blush, but it did evenyually come up.
So, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Trish
Life is a wheel, what you put on it comes back to you.

http://community.webshots.com/user/trish_m
toomanyanimals

Post by toomanyanimals »

Thanks Pat and Trish,

The only one I'm not sure is gone is Truly Angelic. The rest I pulled what was left of the root system out of the ground. Totally gone.

I wasn't surprised about She Talks to Angels - if you remember I had her planted next to a huge sunflower. As I found out, this was a bad idea. I moved what was left of her and crosses my fingers. She was probably just to stressed.

On the bright side, I have some room for my new arrivals. :lol:
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
jay dee

lost

Post by jay dee »

TMA - I feel your pain because we too have lost some. Two that are MIA are fall intros that were huge fans when we planted them but nothing so far. We also have another MIA that was new last spring and is MIA and a couple more that were spring or fall plantings and I have tiny little nubs that haven't grown in the last three weeks.

THEN I worked in the seedling field the other day and have lost some or part of older seedlings and newer planted ones. Our winter was not very cold, basically no snow but TONS OF RAIN! The MIA's I don't think knew how to swim.

Don't give up on them, even if a piece of crown remains they can reappear. Some of my established clumps were only showing growth on the edges and finally I am seeing some new growth in the middle. These are clumps that have been in place for several years.

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:o Yikes.....I never thought of losing any daylilies......I think of them as hard to kill.....Maybe I should double check mine.....

Sorry about the losses......But then, you can get more! :D
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So sorry !!
Do you know why they are gone ???

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
jay dee

winter losses

Post by jay dee »

Pia - I think I lost mine from too much moisture. Our winter was TOO mild and very wet. The ground never froze, the temps were only in the single digits a couple of times and most of the time we were in the mid-30's to mid-40's and just miserable. I don't think they could swim.

Too funny Lucy - I have more than enough room to add daylilies, it is the mega $$$$$ I lost. It totals about $500 on the spring and fall intros I put in last year that haven't appeared as yet (fingers still crossed) and the blood, sweat and hours of work in the seedling field. My solution - I ordered big time this spring. At least I will end up with pollen to use if these can't swim!

jay dee
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

:hmm: it sounds like our normal winters...
When I read about daylillies in English books and the new Danish ones, they claim soil is not imoportant at all, but if I go to books writen 40 Years or more ago, they all claim to plant them with a lot of sharp grit.

I hope you will have starters of all of them.
Last year we got 3 just under the frezing point peiods, they got damaged every time , but all 3 times they came back... this year we got spring before winter and it is easy to see the damages, but I do think they will be okay, or rather hope they will
No, they can't swim, for a long periode,
so you have to help them

Wish I could be more helpful
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Daylilies like rich but well-drained soil which is why I have mine in shallow raised bed up about four inches than the paths ... It has helped.
I'm seeing some spring sickness in the evergreen and semi-evergreen varieties but the dormants are looking just lovely.
Not all the daylilies are accounted for ... I'm sure I've lost Bird's Eye ... it was so tiny last year ... and Blue Vision is a goner too.
I haven't completely raked off the south border so can't tell what's all there ... Paper Butterfly made it -- that one I know for sure ---

I could weep at your losses!
:cry:
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
jay dee

winter losses

Post by jay dee »

I will pass the Kleenex box after I take one more - LOL!

The one bed with the two losses was a brand new elevated bed that had composted pine bark in it. My hubby was convinced it was too rich for the plants. Today he was going to dig and add more pine bark to it but when he got to digging around, the bed was very well drained and had oodles of huge worms. He dug up the one missing plant and the roots are intact and the crown is solid so he put it back. He thinks it will reappear later.

All of my other beds are either elevated or slightly sloped. The only flat area we have is in the bottom of the property and this is where the seedlings are planted. The other missing plants are all scattered in different beds. Miracles do happen, maybe they will eventually pop up again.

jay dee
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Do you know if the daylilies were dormant, semi-evergreen or evergreen varieties that you lost?
Because I'm in the frozen tundraland I tend to lose evergreens and not hardy semi-evergreen varieties.
Dormants do the best so I tend to buy dormants .... However, saying that, I do purchase evergreens and semi-evergreens because I can't resist some of those lovely flowers ... Evergreens tend to dwindle away as do some semi-evergreens ... However I have a couple of evergreen and semi-evergreen varieties that I've had for years and years ... That's the challenge of gardening ... seeing how far to press the line with those zones ...
And sometimes I lose a variety that I've had for years and years with no seemingly logical explanation.
Bird's Eye did well for about three years and then it came back very small so I moved it ... and it was very tiny last year and this year there's nothing.
I also have to periodically lift the daylilies which is something that I will have to do this year in front of the garage. I add fresh compost in the spring and late summer and that leads to the daylily roots/crowns getting too far underground.
You sound like you're doing everything right with the raised bed and rich and well-drained soil ...
All I can say is ... DAMN! To lose such nice varieties.
...Helen :cry:
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

i covered my daylily beds with 3 truck loads of straw last fall and I was uncovering this spring-it looks like they ALL made it.

I love them all to much not to cover them. I will be able to tell more as the sun shines and the growing starts.

seedling beds look like they all made it too!!!

Im sorry for those of you who have lost some this winter. I will keep covering my babies every year! :wink:
New Topic Post Reply