Seedling issues

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Fergy

Seedling issues

Post by Fergy »

I don't know if you can see clearly by the attached photo, but there is one seedling in this pot of seedlings that is all white. It is like it has no pigment or chlorophyll at all. Does any one know what happened ? I am pretty sure it will croak :cry: I don't think it is a water issue or a light issue because all the other seedlings look fine. They were not exposed to any herbiside either, I have heard that can destroy pigment.
Should I pull it or just let it go naturally ?
Attachments
whiteseedling.jpg
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

It happens ... and will probably not live long ... occasionally you'll get an albino (also referred to as a lethal white) in a grouping of seedlings. I used to grow a lot of seedlings about 20 years ago and occasionally I'd get a lethal white or a streaked seedling ... even now I'll have a daylily that will send up streaky leaves for a season but not the next ... that's what is so interesting about living things ...
Keep an eye on it ... it would be interesting to see how far it gets ..
... Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Fergy

Albino

Post by Fergy »

Thankyou, I am glad it's not somthing I did. I will keep an eye on it. This is my first batch of little daylily seedlings.
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

It is living off the food stored in the seed. Once that is gone, it will die. :(

Helen, interesting about your DL that sends up streaked leaves. I have never seen that before! But then again, I still consider myself a newbie to gardening and DL's.

tma
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply