What I did this weekend

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

hagranger

What I did this weekend

Post by hagranger »

Along with a GIANT list of "have to do" items ... I did some work in the one daylily bed that surrounds the deck.

I divided a large clump of Pleasant Hours and turned it into eight clumps. It blooms early

I divided a large clump of that unknown Orange Sherbet colored daylily into about six clumps. It blooms late

I split my Prairie Moonlight into two large clumps It blooms in the mid season

I raised the level of that daylily bed with good compost up about a full two inches ...

It's been a productive weekend of gardening!
Attachments
Prairie Moonlight unfurling in morning July 8 2004.JPG
Unknown sherbet 8-1-04 clump.JPG
Pleasant Hours Clump July 9 2004.JPG
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

You were busy! conrats to you on all your work!

I have been busy too I dug and potted over 100 perennials

Raked all the straw off the 2 daylily beds

I love spring dont you!?
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Sound like a lot of work......That first picture sure looks like my un-named daylily.

Thanks for the pictures! Can't wait till things start blooming here! :D
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Here's the re-planted deck daylily bed ... excuse the mess ... we worked on the path and are in process of putting the skirting on the deck ...

Helen
Attachments
Deck daylily bed April 05.JPG
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
jay dee

week-end

Post by jay dee »

It looks great and you will have a beautiful view from the deck.

jay dee
wishiwere
USDA Zone: 5

Post by wishiwere »

Wow! You guys were as busy as most here! I couldn't believe how busy the home depot and farm place were this weekend! You'd thing spring had sprung! LOL

That walk and deck view will be great! I need to do that to some of the old clumps and it's just not high on that never ending list of things to do that didn't get done last fall :( Better get a move on to catch up with you all! :)
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Looks great Helen!! :D
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

This is a view off the back deck taken earlier ... I'm still in clean up mode so excuse the mess. The entire backyard garden is designed as a 1920s city farm stead
Attachments
Backyard April 05.JPG
Behind this Rip Van Winkle daffodil is what I refer to as daylily lane.  It's on the south side of the house and daylilies are growing to the right along the fence ... I have climbing roses on the fence ...It's the sunniest and warmest spot in my garden .
Behind this Rip Van Winkle daffodil is what I refer to as daylily lane. It's on the south side of the house and daylilies are growing to the right along the fence ... I have climbing roses on the fence ...It's the sunniest and warmest spot in my garden .
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

I like that setting :) You'll have to post an update when they are all in bloom too! My daffodils aren't blooming yet :( And you had the frost! Go figure! LOL
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Jane,
That's a Rip Van Winkle daffodil and it's the ONLYONE blooming because it's on the south side of the house where it's warmer ... it's always early sometimes opening when there's snow.
I have some kauffmania tulips that also bloom really early
Helen
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Mine are all just sitting still, waiting for that rain that is promised again! :(
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Helen,
nice garden! I have some daff's and hyacinths blooming.
And my Fritillaria Uva - Vulpis are blooming. Here is a picture.

All my Allium and Fritillaria bulbs are in the same bed as my Daylilies. Gives the bed a little early growth and color.
Attachments
Fritillaria Uva-Vulpis
<br />Not too showy, but I like them.  I think they would probably do better in part shade.  Right now they are in full sun.
Fritillaria Uva-Vulpis
Not too showy, but I like them. I think they would probably do better in part shade. Right now they are in full sun.
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Cool!
I have some new yellow daffodils blooming and the English wood hyacinth ... these are in the front oval bed where the Stella D'Oros are. makes for an interesting transition ..
Helen
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Helen, u have dayliles blooming already? wow! They are very pretty!

hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Tundra Queen ...
Nooooo not yet ... those are pictures of the daylilies taken last year that I moved and divided ... I'm a loooooooooong way from having daylilies bloom ... at least another month unless these high 60 degree F. days continue...
Helen
New Topic Post Reply