Spring sickness in daylilies

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

hagranger

Spring sickness in daylilies

Post by hagranger »

I am experiencing Spring Sickness ... many of my evergreen and semi-evergreen varieties get this ...

Evergreens don't go dormant and some of the SEVs continue to grow ... they get heavily nipped by the cold and continue to grow even though the end tips are burnt and blackened ... I have to literally pull the crusty ends off and always find these bent and twisted leaves ... Eventually they will straighten out and do fine ... but it sure makes the daylily look ugly at this time of year ... especially if it's next to a dormant variety ...

Helen
Attachments
Spring Sickness daylily April 05.JPG
Daylily w Spring Sickness April 05.jpg
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

So that's what it is.....I wondered why some of mine looked like that and some are really pretty...... :roll: :wink:

Thanks for showing/telling us!! :D
jay dee

spring sickness

Post by jay dee »

Helen - I don't think you have spring sickness, just yucky foliage from the uneven temps. They will definitely out grow this. Spring sickness foliage has a jagged edge that almost looks like pinking shears trimmed the sides of each leaf.

I know you are familiar with Tinker's and Sue B. has links and pictures of plants with spring sickness. All the plants but my dormants have foliage like this but we have no ss this year. We were checking yesterday.

jay dee
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

My daylilies sure look like the photos of SS that are on the Internet ... and my extension agent diagnosed it and explained it to me when I first started experiencing it ... but if you say it isn't Spring Sickness who am I to argue?
... Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: Now I'm confused.....Didn't know there was such a thing as SS....I thought you were just telling/showing us what jay dee said....*just yucky foliage from the uneven temps*.....And that's what I thought mine had anyway....:lol:

I guess I better look up SS. :D
New Topic Post Reply