Who's going to "Mecca?"

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Greygardener

Who's going to "Mecca?"

Post by Greygardener »

I'm SO looking forward to it. Going down May 10th for several days, with credit cards, a good daylily friend, a checkbook and cameras in tow!
jay dee

Daylily Mecca

Post by jay dee »

I'm going down too - maybe I will run into you. Thousands and thousands of the newest daylilies blooming - talk about overload. If I max out my card, can I borrow yours?

jay dee
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Please take a lot of pics :D
Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

What and where is "Mecca"? :?:
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
jay dee

daylily mecca

Post by jay dee »

In central FL, there are several daylily hybridizers within just a few miles of each other. May is the peak bloom time in FL and is the absolute best time to visit these hybridizers and see their introductions and even better, future introductions.

It is so much fun to see fields of daylilies blooming before we living in the north even have scapes. You pack your sunblock, sun glasses, camera and most importantly, your wallet.

jay dee
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

I've NEVER seen so many beautiful daylilies!

Just got home today and starting to go through all my photos. Best I can count, I took between 250 and 300 pictures! Will try to start getting them resized and posted.

Weather in Deltona was great last week. Not too hot, not too cold and only one afternoon of rain. But it didn't interupt the garden touring.

I think I could have spent another week looking at the beautiful farms, new intros, and gorgeous seedlings those folks are coming up with!

Picked up some great plants. Free Wheelin', Space Coast Citrus Kick, Space Coast Hot Topic, Ed Brown, Russian Ragtime, These Foolish Things, Berry Patch, Kisses Like Wine, Tar and Feather, and Royal Celebration.

My only regret was that all plants had to come home bare root and cut foliage. But think they'll all come back fast and hope to have some rebloom later in the summer.

Will get some pics up soon. Hope anyone else who was able to go down had as great a time as I did!
BillyB
USDA Zone: 6B

Post by BillyB »

Please post the Spacecoast selections if they are blooming. I would love to see those. Sounds like a fun trip.
Billy
BillyB
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world." - John Muir
My Hosta List
toomanyanimals
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by toomanyanimals »

Glad to hear you had a great time and got some wonderful daylilies.

I can't say I'm sooo into daylilies yet that anyplace could tear me away from my spring garden! We wait so long for spring that when it is here . . . well, you know! Now, if Mecca was in Feb or March, I would try the Florida trip, even with the kids! :D

Can't wait for your pics. Did you see JayDee?
I've heard a lot of good things about Berry Patch. Make sure to post that one if possible.
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Greygardener I want to see the Russian Ragtime....I have Russian Easter, and it's the *Russian* part that I got it for....My Mom's Mom was Russian....

Thanks!!! :D
jay dee

mecca

Post by jay dee »

Yes, I'm back too. I got home Monday afternoon and have been trying to play catch up and planting like crazy to get everything into the ground. I took 300 pics while there and took an additional 100 when I got home. I believe my hubby oversprayed the garden with steriods while I was gone. In one week's time, everything jumped and have all kinds of blooming things now.

The display at the various gardens is outstanding. Due to their cold weather, they weren't even at peak bloom yet and all I can say is I'm glad because it was daylily bloom heaven as it was. I did not go down with a shopping list but let my eyes be my guide as to what followed me home.

From Stamile, two of his older spiders, APPLIQUE and WIND MASTER. From Kinnebrew, SPACECOAST FRILLS AND FINERY, S. CITRUS KICK, S. GOLD BONANZA, S. LIL RED WAGON. From Salter, BERRY PATCH, AMETHYST REFLECTIONS, RAVEN'S RAGE, STOLEN WISHES. Most of these were ones I had considered purchasing from their catalogs and always opted for something else but in person, they were a big WOW.

Purple is such a hard color to photograph and when you see it in person, some of them just made me drool. RAVEN'S RAGE, mini, is a dark velvety purple with a light watermark that is not the least bit impressive in the catalog. BERRY PATCH was another one I had considered but in person, couldn't resist. It is a bright raspberry pink with a big, light watermark. AMETHYST REFLECTIONS, always gorgeous in pics, was beautiful. It is almost a edge with no eye bloom, going from a very pale color to more lavender towards the edge. STOLEN WISHES, WIND MASTER and APPLIQUE all have an appliqued throat and very unique. The ones from Kinnebrew are just ruffles upon ruffles with more ruffles on the edges.

Eventually, my husband will get the pics resized and ready for me to send. Right now, the weather is gorgeous and who wants to sit in front of the computer!

jay dee
jay dee

daylily mecca

Post by jay dee »

Duh - I shouldn't post a night after working all day. I received S. LIL RED WAGON this spring and the actual plant I got at Kinnebrew's on the trip is S. PERFECT ANGEL. I read Greygardner got S. HOT TOPIC, and it is the parent of LRWAGON, and that stuck in my old brain.

Back to the trip -

First morning off to Stamile's - unbelieveable. All his seedlings are under shade cloth and all the beds are raised above the walk way. His sale plants are in another area, again under shade cloth but grown in pots. When they pick a seedling, they are lined out, they multiply and then put into pots. Any multiplication of the plant in the pot goes to the buyer. I saw row after row of fabulous seedlings and cannot figure out how you would make a selection. I would be happy to take their composted plants.

Late morning we went to Daylily World of David Kirchhoff and Mort Morss. Acres of blooms - too much to even hope to see them all. Beautiful doubles and interesting eyes everywhere. All plants are in raised beds and the paths are covered with landscape fabric, as are all the hybridizers we visited. David has sold the property to a developer because the world has moved in around them. It is sad, because this property was owned by David's parents and they too, sold flowers from this location, but not daylilies. They are looking for property in the midwest and will only do their own intros and not be a secondary seller. Wouldn't it be fun to have them as neighbors?

Early the next day, we were off to Dan and Jane Trimmer's gardens. Beautiful house sitting on property carved out of a jungle and surrounded by beautiful daylilies. Here again, raised beds housing row after crowded row of beautiful blooms. This year, they grew their crop of seeds in gallon containers and the containers sit inside the boards making up the raised beds. From the look of the blooms, they were happy campers. Beautiful spiders, voluptuous round blooms, intricate eyes, they do them all on about 5,000 seeds a year, unlike many of the hybridizers who plant 10,000 plus. I saw the prettiest diploid minis with gorgeous shades of blue eyes. I was excited and thought they were tets but Dan said he is going to pick the best and try to convert them to tets. Eventually, there will be a blue daylily, not a solid blue but many shades of blue.

More tomorrow - I still have some chores to do!

jay dee
Greygardener

Post by Greygardener »

Here is Russian Ragtime from Salter's. I bought more there than any other place. They really do have some beautiful plants! I'm already planning another order...maybe I'll get some good buys since they're packing up and moving to Gainesville, FL.
Attachments
s Russian Ragtime.jpg
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Thank-You Greygardener!! Is that color pretty close in person? It's pretty!! What size is the flower?

Thanks again!! :wink:
New Topic Post Reply