Can you believe this?

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

hagranger

Can you believe this?

Post by hagranger »

This is a shot of one of the clumps of the Pleasant Hours daylily that I divided and replanted ... It has a scape! And buds and it's April 22!
I must have done something ... or it might of been those high 70 degrees and that one near 80 degrees F. day we had recently.
Helen
Attachments
daylily buds closeup 4-20-05.jpg
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
Margery
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Margery »

I can believe it! I have lots of scapes & buds on my Black Eyed Stella and also 2 on the Paper Butterfly (Thanks Trish!). I've never seen scapes this early but I'm fairly new to daylilies. But what now? There is 4-7 inches of snow and a low of 31 forecast for here tomorrow. Will covering the scapes help or are they goners?
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Margery ... sorry I didn't see this until just now ... I don't cover my daylilies in the spring ... too many of them and they are really tough and can weather through just about anything which you probably know by now.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
jay dee

scapes

Post by jay dee »

It wouldn't hurt to cover the scapes with a big pot because they (the scape) will die if they get frozen. The daylily foliage will be fine.

The early scapes you are seeing are probably rebloom scapes from last fall that didn't have time to bloom last fall. PAPER BUTTERFLY is known for it's rebloom habit.

jay dee
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

i cant wait to see some BLOOMS!!! :D
Margery
USDA Zone: 5

Post by Margery »

I covered the scapes and despite the snow & cold they look fine. I hope they weren't damaged, I'd love to see some early bloom. Interesting to know that the that the Paper Butterfly scapes are from last fall! I had no idea that was possible. Thanks for the info.
New Topic Post Reply