For LucyGoose

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

PeggyC

For LucyGoose

Post by PeggyC »

I promised and I remembered! :P Here are pics of the blooms of the seedlings you gave me last year! I know nothing about daylilies but I think these are very nice!
Attachments
Wedding Band x Space Coast Star Burst
Wedding Band x Space Coast Star Burst
Roses in Snow x Mama's Cherry Pie
Roses in Snow x Mama's Cherry Pie
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

OMG Peg, that is so cool!! They bloomed!! :beer:....And they ain't bad looking either!! I like them both!! We have to say thanks to Trish....(Pretty darn sure it was her seeds...) Thanks Trish!!!! :D If you could see mine, well lets just say I prolly will have to wait till next year fom mine bloom... :roll: Peg, does that first one have a green throat?

Thanks for remembering, too!! :wink: :lol:
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I haven't posted much for the past several days because the long awaited kitchen remodel has begun.

It's so :cool: :cool: :cool: that yours bloomed Peg!!! They are very pretty. :D Thanks for showing us.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
PeggyC

Post by PeggyC »

Thanks guys! Lucy, I just went out and checked and the first daylily does have a greenish-yellow throat. These have been extremely sturdy. We've only had 3/10ths of rain since April 1st and last night was the first night I watered them.
"A friend is someone who knows the song of your soul and sings it back to you when you have forgotten the words."

PeggyC's Hosta List
Snow

Post by Snow »

"Roses in Snow" - that's one after my own heart :wink:
~*Snow*~
notmartha
USDA Zone: 6a

Post by notmartha »

:o wow those look so cool-i have the same crosses and cant wait to see some BLOOMS this yr! yahoooooooooooo!

i do have some daylilies blooming one by one! :wink:
jay dee

for Lucy

Post by jay dee »

RockingC Peg - When your ROSES IN SNOW x MAMA'S CHERRY PIE seedling multiplies, I would love to buy a fan from you. I love the edges with no eye. Good job on the crossing to Patrushka, to Lucy for passing them on and to Peggy for growing them.

jay dee
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

I didn't make the cross, jay dee. :oops: Credit for the cross goes to Patricia M. :D I was one of the lucky recipients of seeds from some of her crosses. :) I don't see scapes on any of mine yet.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who screws up forum names...:lol:

You'll have to get into line, Jay Dee.....I'm first! :lol: :wink:
toomanyanimals

Post by toomanyanimals »

Peg, Very nice!
I too really liked the Roses in Snow x Mama's Cherry Pie cross.
I've had 2 of my crosses from 2002 finally bloom. But they both turned out yellow with nothing special about them.

I'm debating on pulling these yellow daylilies out now, or waiting till they have finished blooming. It is VERY Crowed in this bed. :cry: For those of you who have baby daylily beds, WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Sharon
Be not simply good; be good for something.
Henry David Thoreau
notmartha

Post by notmartha »

sharon
I'D START A NEW BED :lol: :lol:
jay dee

for Lucy

Post by jay dee »

We dig and toss from the seedling field whenever we can get around to it. We mark each plant with a flag, good or bad, and then we dig and move at our leisure, not that we have any "leisure" right now.

We also take colored tape to indicate whether the entire cross lives another year or if we clear out the entire cross. It cuts down on the number of flags floating around. Needless to say, the seedling bed is very colorful between the blooms, the different flags and the different tape.

A fun time of the year but also a very busy time of the year.

jay dee
jay dee

for Lucy

Post by jay dee »

Oops forgot - I think it must be a blond thing Lucy. I am horrible with names but ask me about dog pedigrees, daylilies or hosta. Those I can remember! Oh yeah, my hubby also says any past mistake he has ever made - then he says my memory rivals an elephant!

jay dee
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

I bet it IS very busy for you! I can kinda SEE those tags... :lol:

You know I was playing with ya on the seedling from Peg....We can both share....:lol:

Yep, I am very bad with names
Tundra_Queen

Post by Tundra_Queen »

Those are pretty, but they were actually crossed and the seeds planted and u got those? How :cool: is that?

bobbo

Post by bobbo »

The crosses are made and a seed pod forms, after 40 or so days they are viable seeds. There will be usually 12 to 20 seeds in the pod, each seed is a unique plant, sometimes the family traits are easily seen between the siblings , sometimes not. I have made a few crosses but hybridizing isn't a pasttime for me, the numbers are just mind boggling, People at the top of the game, Salters, Stamiles, are sifting thru 50,000 + - seedlings a year, plus if you did have success, maybe a move to Florida might be in your future. They can cut 8 months out of the 3 year cycle it usually takes from planting the seed to seeing the bloom for the first time.

Still there must be quite a thrill to seeing a flower that you helped get created that never existed before. There are people who don't live in Florida that are successfull at it, it just takes longer.

Sometimes the bees do a good job at making crosses.
New Topic Post Reply