Daylily Oddities

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Daylily Oddities

Post by JaneG »

Sometimes a stroll through the garden reveals some unusual things going on. Yesterday I found this Baja daylily that was trying to be a double or triple bloom. It wasn't a typical polytepal, I've seen that before. This poor flower couldn't decide whether the center of the flower was going to stamens and a pistil, or more petals. Really strange, but sometimes these things happen. The really strange part was when I checked this morning, a second bud had opened and it's flower was malformed in a similar fashion. Perhaps because I dug it up last spring, never got it planted, left the clump in a walmart bag last summer and all winter, then finally planted it this spring! So it's been stressed.
Attachments
Baja Daylily Odd3.jpg
Baja Daylily Odd2.jpg
Baja Daylily Odd1.jpg
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

And this pretty daylily is Spiffy, a bright gold-yellow. I took this picture when walking through the garden at the end of the day, this bloom had been open all day facing into the hot sun. The sun faded much of the color out of the petals. But I thought it made a really pretty two-tone daylily!
Attachments
Spiffy Daylily Faded.jpg
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
goldenmom

Post by goldenmom »

:eek: That's the strangest thing happening on Baja. Don't know that I've ever seen that before. Given how it spent the winter and now the hot, hot summer...maybe those things have contributed to it's confusion? But, man, what a pretty color!
wishiwere

Post by wishiwere »

Hmmmmmmmm....makes you wonder what they make those bags out of huh?

That is soooooooo :cool:
Jane (from the middle of the Mitten state)
My hosta list: viewtopic.php?t=39540
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Morning Jane!!

Man, is that weird!! But it's pretty that way! But that was that is was abused.......welll.........:lol:

Thanks!!
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

How interesting, Jane! :o Baja makes a pretty double. :D Spiffy looks like a completely different daylily. :)
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply