Daylily Society Buying Trip

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

bobbo

Daylily Society Buying Trip

Post by bobbo »

We went on a buying trip with LADS ( Louisville Area Daylily Society) today. We chartered a bus and went to Columbus Ind. A nice near 1 hour drive. We visited Wintons Iris Hill first that has Iris, Daylilies, Hostas and other perennials. We got Satans Torch, Indy Eclipse, Little Zinger,Holiday Delight, and Jedi Free Spirit. I grabbed 2 hosta, American Sweetheart and Stained Glass. They had refreshments and frozen fruit cups were yummy and taken well by the whole group. We had lunch at Golden Corral and then went to Lilly Lane Gardens, Wow what a showplace! Joyce Underwood has some of the newest Frank Smith introductions, and very new and up to date cultivars. I saw the 3 dollar row of potted daylilies and then the 2 dollar row from the bus, my course was set and Amelia and I were on a mission. More Indys', Jedis' and Siloams' along with other oldie but beautiful daylilies. I love to see folks gardens who can afford to buy collections of current year introductions, but we aren't playing in that sandbox, give 'em 10 years and we give them a look see. Not much "Chicken Fat" ( a term Ted Petit said a lady used to discribe some of his heavily crinkled and yellow/gold edges) in our garden, but we enjoy the Daylilies we grow, which was a timeless piece of free advice given me by Matthew Kaskel in 2000 at the Memphis region 10 meeting, when I told him I was looking forward to getting his flowers in my gardens. He said " Just be sure to enjoy the dayliles that you do grow".
That's pretty refreshing really, instead of , yes, yes , buy all of mine that you can.

We loaded our goodies and headed home, and on the way back Harry our driver popped a tape of David "Mad Dog" Bonner, southern humorist in and we listened on the way back. It was my tape and I guess no one was ready for that. The guy stopped in where I worked in September of 1998. My boss was going to buy the tape and let me copy it, but since his picture on the cassette was him in Railroad clothes, and he was standing there, in the same outfit, big as day, I had to get my copy so he would autograph it as well. I guess thats the funniest part of the whole story. He says he's just like Jerry Clower, "only nobody's ever heard of me"! All G rated and corny southern humor, I like it!
PeggyB

Post by PeggyB »

I don't know much about daylilies but it sounds like you had a quite a successful outing and a lot of fun! Enjoy putting in your new plants!
New Topic Post Reply