The "real" Runemark ... buyer beware

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

hagranger

The "real" Runemark ... buyer beware

Post by hagranger »

One of my favorite daylilies is called Runemark. It is a Morss introduction. I am going to be showing two photographs. One that "is" and one that "isn't" Runemark. Then there is a third photograph taken by Kinnebrew at the Morss garden that shows what the real Runemark is supposed to look like. There are some growers out there that are selling a daylily that looks like Runemark but it isn't. And there is a photo of Runemark on the Garden Web Hortiplex site that isn't Runemark. Just another reason that the buyer has to beware.
Attachments
This is a photo of Runemark taken in the Morss garden by Kinnebrew ... The front three petals (tepals) overlap the back three petals (sepals) but you can make out the markings on the sepals which are missing from the Rune Mark in the center photo.
This is a photo of Runemark taken in the Morss garden by Kinnebrew ... The front three petals (tepals) overlap the back three petals (sepals) but you can make out the markings on the sepals which are missing from the Rune Mark in the center photo.
Runemark3.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 866 times
This is a courtesy photo showing what is being sold out there as Runemark ... It's usually renamed Rune Mark ... a subtle difference.  Please note there are no markings on the tepals
This is a courtesy photo showing what is being sold out there as Runemark ... It's usually renamed Rune Mark ... a subtle difference. Please note there are no markings on the tepals
This is my Runemark, note the triangle shape formed by the markings on the back three petals (sepals). The tepals usually overlap the sepals more this is the first one to bloom this year.
This is my Runemark, note the triangle shape formed by the markings on the back three petals (sepals). The tepals usually overlap the sepals more this is the first one to bloom this year.
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Very interesting Helen. Thanks for the pictures and the good explanation of what to look for.

Just another reason I love this place!! Learn something new every day.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

The real Runemark is beautiful! :cool: Thanks for the great info, Helen. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
New Topic Post Reply