Stella Dora Lily / Stella de Oro

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

mrtoad
USDA Zone: 7b

Stella Dora Lily / Stella de Oro

Post by mrtoad »

i have a few of the stella dora - use it in a short border (15ft) - i would like to add a second row - is there a similar variety - ever-blooming but a different color - that you could recommend

thanks

mr toad
Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday,Friday,Saturday,Sunday - - No Someday
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Stella is a Hemerocallis (Daylily) which is not a true Lily. So you might try posting on the daylily thread. For more responses.

That said, there is Little Business which is red and there is a Purple de Oro. There are other but it is early and not fully functioning here yet! :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Mr. Toad,

Happy Returns is a brighter, lemon yellow but blooms as much and is the same size plant. Purple De Oro is a purplish color that also blooms for a very long time but is larger and blooms taller than Stella. Ruby Stella is a ruby red color that is about the same size and although it is supposed to bloom as much mine started a bit later than Stella, but I only had them one season so that probably wasn't typical. I've also grown Rosy Returns and it blooms like crazy, but some people don't like the color. The first season it is a bit of a dirty pink but I noticed after a couple years the flowers improved quite a bit and were a nice pink.

Since many of these plants have orange tones in them they don't always combine easily with other colors but they are easy to grow and can be divided often to fill up a border in time.

Hope that helps to give you some ideas.

Chris
New Topic Post Reply