Dragon's Eye Not Blooming

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Dragon's Eye Not Blooming

Post by nanny_56 »

Is anybody else's blooming? My plant is 4 fans this year. 2 are good size, but not so much as a scape on any of them. Everything around it is blooming so I don't think it is the location. I am finding this very disappointing. :???:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Claudia,

This one must be a little later to bloom. The first flower opened today on mine, however there are tons of scapes coming on it at this point. They were slow to get going last year and bloomed a little late so I was wondering about them, but they came back strong over the winter and are doing fine now. This one might just need a little extra time to settle in.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Thank you Chris! It is a pretty one and I don't want to give up on it yet!!
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Tracy_Zone5

Post by Tracy_Zone5 »

Mine doesn't have any scapes either. I can't remember if it bloomed last year or not. I got it the year before in August.

Tracy
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Chris,
You're right about it being a later bloomer and you're doing good to have Dragon's Eye blooming now.
Dragon's Eye is a ML which mean it's on the later side and I don't expect to see a blossom until the end of July.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
John

Post by John »

Mine has not scaped yet, and it is just about past peak season here.

The only signs of new scapes are on TWIST AGAIN.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

John wrote:Mine has not scaped yet, and it is just about past peak season here.
Same here John.

Well after asking around a couple other places... it does seem that Dragon's Eye is poor preformer for most people. So I have replaced it with Custard Candy for now until I have time to find a nice special small one to fill the space.
Claudia
hagranger

Post by hagranger »

Claudia,
Please be patient with Dragon's Eye. You have four fans and from your description you had two fans last year (the larger two) and two smaller fans (those from this year) ... Like hosta some daylilies take time to settle in and usually by the third year are doing better. I had my first blossom of Dragon's Eye open this morning. I'm Zone 5.
Helen
A day without laughter AND gardening is a day wasted ... oh ... and be kind to your children ... they will choose your nursing home!
New Topic Post Reply