I gave away five or six daylilies...

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Midnight Reiter Too

I gave away five or six daylilies...

Post by Midnight Reiter Too »

I gave away all my Ruby Stella and Lavender Blush daylilies today. My daughter dug them up for me. She'll keep the Lavender Blush and give the others to friends. I'm downsizing and putting grass in the bare spots. I almost gave away my dwarf dogwood, but chickened out.
Last edited by Midnight Reiter Too on Jun 06, 2009 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give a Weed an Inch and it’ll Take a Yard
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Re: I gave away five or six of daylilies...

Post by JaneG »

Oh my gosh, "Putting In Grass?" I don't think I've ever heard that one before! The norm is to get rid of the grass! :lol: :lol:

I got rid of a bunch of old orange ditch lilies in the last couple weeks myself. They multiply too fast and I want to make room for more new kinds. Anyway, with all the rain this spring the neighbor ended up with a gully where all the water had overflowed and washed out along his fencerow. So I offered to fill it with ditch lilies to help hold in the soil and prevent further erosion. It was a win-win, he got his fencerow stabilized and I got new space for more daylilies!

I'm sure your daughter and her friends will enjoy your hand-me-down flowers! :D
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Midnight Reiter Too

I can't keep up with my flower beds. Those daylilies were getting overtaken by the grass anyway. Now we can mow the grass down without crying about the daylilies. Gardening is becoming painful for me. I'm going to be doing more container gardening so I don't have to weed.

nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I have given away a few that just have not seemed happy here...I am sending Spacecoast Royal Ransome to a new home today. Miss Izy may have to move back south. Not sure she is happy here either! :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Midnight Reiter Too

Well, now I'm thinking that I should have given away my Stella Supreme daylilies.
Midnight Reiter Too

Today I told my daughter that she can have my 'Stella Supreme' and 'Cherry Valentine' daylilies. At the rate I'm going, I may have only three varieties left --- unless I give some of those away.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

Gee...what do you have left?
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Midnight Reiter Too

I have only Prairie Blue Eyes, Catherine Woodbury, and Joylene Nicole left.
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

STOP, I say, STOP NOW!!!! :D You have 3 very nice daylilies left, so keep 'em!!! Put them in pots (you'll curse the watering, rather than the weeding), or move them to a location, perhaps in a corner, or someplace where they will be tucked away and not so close to the lawn grass as to make mowing a hazard. Or plant them in the ground and make a little square around them out of bricks or edgers, slightly above ground level, and then you have only a very specific small place to weed and you can mow around them easier. But please, keep your last three so you'll have a few blooms to enjoy this summer!!!

I swear, if you give away these last three I'm going to send you a box full of daylilies to replace them!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
Midnight Reiter Too

JaneG wrote:STOP, I say, STOP NOW!!!! :D You have 3 very nice daylilies left, so keep 'em!!! Put them in pots (you'll curse the watering, rather than the weeding), or move them to a location, perhaps in a corner, or someplace where they will be tucked away and not so close to the lawn grass as to make mowing a hazard. Or plant them in the ground and make a little square around them out of bricks or edgers, slightly above ground level, and then you have only a very specific small place to weed and you can mow around them easier. But please, keep your last three so you'll have a few blooms to enjoy this summer!!!

I swear, if you give away these last three I'm going to send you a box full of daylilies to replace them!!!!
:lol: I think I'll keep 'em.
nanny_56

Post by nanny_56 »

:lol: Good Girl!!! :lol:
Claudia
Spider
USDA Zone: 9A

Post by Spider »

:lol: :bawl: :lol: :lol:
Spider's Hosta List There are photos there too :)

"I gotta have more cowbell!" SNL

"If your gecko is broken you have a reptile dysfunction."

"If you don't talk to your cat about catnip...who will?"
Midnight Reiter Too

Wait! If I buy 'Wonderful Wonderful' and plant them where the 'Prairie Blue Eyes' are, may I give away 'Prairie Blue Eyes'?
New Topic Post Reply