Explaination please

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Seedseller1

Explaination please

Post by Seedseller1 »

I know very little about daylilies. To be honest, I don't have warm feelings toward them other than the day they blossom :D .
The pictures I've seen of some are breathtaking, including ones posted here. I "get" what some are trying to accomplish in their hybridizing efforts, just like goals I have when playing "bee" with my hostas. What I don't understand is where the "spiders" come from. We have about a half dozen different daylilies around here, none of them spiders, and in the past Linda (DW) collected some seed and grew it just to see what she'd get. One of them blossomed recently and produced a spectacular flower (my opinion). Is the "spider" gene recessive and that's why she got what she got or is there more to it than that? The pic is her hand (she's a small lady-for reference) holding the flower while I snapped the pic. Anybody have one similar? I didn't realize the blossoms could attain that size.
Attachments
Home grown
Home grown
John

Re: Explaination please

Post by John »

My thought on this: spiders, or spidery-type, can be found in daylily species. That 'look' was out of style once people got into hybridizing daylilies, and especially with the introduction of tetraploids. So, many wonderful spiders were culled, and the rounder, even bagel, forms were selected. So, people were selecting for non-spidery flowers, thus creating such a gene pool. They are now in vogue once again, among some, and the spiders, and ufos, are more popular.

That flower is SPECTACULAR!
Lessadragon
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by Lessadragon »

:o WOW :-?

I love it however it came to be!

Lynn
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Man...don't let that big one get away!! :cool:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
fullofit

Post by fullofit »

I've never been a big fan of spiders, but I'm pretty impressed with this one. I may have to invest in 'just a couple' for variety in my garden. CHAR
CHAR (wild4flowers)
Happiness is making a bouquet
of those flowers within reach !
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Oh my word..... it is certainly an oddity.

Enjoy it! That is why there are so many DL afficianados out there - there is something for everyone!

A
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply