They sunk to a new low..............

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

They sunk to a new low..............

Post by caliloo »

It's bad enough that it has been raining buckets almost daily, so my daily applications of Liquid Fence have not been as effective as usual, but I thought since the DLs were done blooming I could just concentrate on the hostas and otherstuff for the rest of the summer. NOT SO! The evil hooved ones went through the garden last night and ate ALL THE RIPENING SEED PODS! Can you believe it?!?!?!?! So much for pollen dabbing :evil:

I am so mad I could just spit! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
govgirl75
USDA Zone: 5

Re: They sunk to a new low..............

Post by govgirl75 »

Sorry, Alexa.
They are pretty, but deadly to the garden.
Have they done this to you before? Or are they expanding their epicurean boundaries?
Maybe next year you could rig up some kind of covering using a tomato cage and chicken netting. It wouldn't impede the sun, rain or air but would give the beasties a taste of metal mouth if they tried to eat your seed pods.
Sorry all your hard work was eaten. :evil:
Glo
John

Post by John »

Hi Alexa... that is surely frustrating. Good you got to see the flowers first, at least. One year i had deer come in and eat every single bud of my daylilies just as they were ready to open, all ffo's on my own hybrids I waited years to see.

Yours were done blooming? So are mine, at least by August 1st there won't be any, even the very lates are already done. I thought I had flowers through August last few years... thankfully there are Pardancanda, Phlox and Hibiscus coming on now.

If you need seeds, maybe there are some in the seedbox that would interest you. I'd be very happy to share.
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

This is the first year they have touched the seed pods. I think it is the twin fawns of the doe living behind my house. They seem to be taste testing EVERYTHING!

John - I may just take you up on that offer if it still stands in a few weeks. Let me see if I can salvage anything from my attempts.

Thanks again - it is nice to know that there is some sympathy!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply