Daylily Razzmatazz and Purple De Oro are the same??

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Daylily Razzmatazz and Purple De Oro are the same??

Post by Chris_W »

Hi,

I was just going through the Walters Gardens catalog and they have a notation that the Daylily 'Razzmatazz' is the same as Daylily 'Purple De Oro'? So I checked the Tinkers daylily database and while the pictures do look like the same plant, the specs are different. Anyone know any more of the story on these?

Funny thing is, several years ago someone asked me if we have Purple De Oro and just that summer I saw them for the first time, at Wal Mart, for $1.99 in a box. This was the very first time I'd ever heard of it, and I told the person that, knowing the history of the DeGroot company, this was probably just a repackaging and renaming of an already existing daylily, but I wasn't growing it. They assured me this was a real daylily that had been registered. My reasoning was that if there really was an everblooming, purple version of Stella De Oro that we would know more about it, and it wouldn't find its first release so cheaply only at Walmart and other "box" type stores.

However, I eventually started growing Purple De Oro and although they aren't really anything like Stella and they aren't really purple, they do flower a long time and I have really enjoyed them. But should I rename them now???

By the way, DeGroot did the same thing with Hosta 'Undulata Albomarginata', renaming and repacking it in boxes as Hosta 'Shadeseeker' :roll:
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Re: Daylily Razzmatazz and Purple De Oro are the same??

Post by kHT »

Chris, I heard they were the same. It's truly sad when folks do this with any specie of plant and in the Brug world
the only way to ID is to do DNA. It would be interesting to test the two and see?
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
John

Post by John »

Razzmatazz is a tet, Purple de oro is a dip. This is reflected to some degree in the specs, with Razzmatazz being 6" taller, and the flowers 2" wider. I imagine the differences would become obvious is one grew both daylilies.

The name Purple de oro should not have been accepted for registration, as it gives the false impression it is related to Stella de oro.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi John,

Yes, I noticed that too, that the specs were different. That's why I didn't quite understand how the two could be the same. Purple De Oro definitely doesn't have 5" flowers. The whole thing seems a bit confusing to me, other than the fact that the pictures do look like the same plant.
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

I don't know about either one
Last edited by Ed_B on Aug 01, 2010 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
SallyvT
USDA Zone: 4

Post by SallyvT »

I believe that the daylily "Purple d'Oro is identical to 'Summer Wine', a daylily introduced by Wild in 1973.
Chris_W
Administrator

Post by Chris_W »

Hi Sally,

Welcome to the forums!

Purple De Oro is actually quite a bit different from Summer Wine. The flower on Purple De Oro is much smaller but it flowers much longer than Summer Wine.

However, I've seen many mixed up Purple De Oro being sold that are NOT the correct plant, so what you saw or are growing could very well be Summer Wine that was sold mislabeled as Purple De Oro. Last summer I even received a wholesale batch of bare root plants that were completely wrong, and very well might have been Summer Wine...

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
New Topic Post Reply