Daylily seed pods

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Ginger
USDA Zone: Zone 7

Daylily seed pods

Post by Ginger »

Morning all :D
One of my daylily has these big pod looking things on the end of the stalks now and it has quit blooming.
Is the pod thing a seed pod? Do I just leave it alone and it will drop seeds and grow, or do I need to pick it off or what? This is the first time in three years I have had any blooms to speak of, so sorry for a possibly dumb question :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ginger
Did I mention I grow my Hosta in pots?
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Re: Daylily seed pods

Post by Patrushka »

Yes, Ginger, those are seed pods. Once they mature, they will dry and start to split open. I don't know if they will grow if you let them drop but I think it might be possible in your warmer zone. I have never had a seedling that was self sown in my zone 5. Maybe someone else has some advice about that. I have collected seeds and winter sown them in milk jugs. That's how I grew my Smoky Mountain Autumn seedlings.
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks Pat! It is not the prettiest of daylily so I think I will let the pod seeds drop and do their thing... or not :lol: :lol:

Ginger
Patrushka
USDA Zone: 5a

Post by Patrushka »

It just might work. It's the concept that winter sowing came from. Growing them in the jugs or containers just offers a bit more protection from the elements and the critters. Good luck. If it works, maybe the babies will be prettier than the mama. :D
Pat
My Hosta List

Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.
~ Walt Whitman
John

Post by John »

If you were going to go to any effort, I'd obtain some nice daylily seed crosses instead. The dropped seeds almost never seem to survive to blooming seedlings on their own, but it is certainly possible. Were there other daylilies in bloom in the area at the same time?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Since I dont' grow seedlings I just remove the scape once it is done. If the pods start to develope while there are still bud to bloom I pick them off. No point in the plant wasting energy making seeds.
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
Ginger

Post by Ginger »

Thanks for the replies. Mike, yes there were two other daylily blooming at the same time as this one, but this one is the only one so far with a seed pod on it. I bought these from a box store about three years ago, three different kinds in a bag, dont think it even said what they were supposed to be :evil: Anyhoo,, I planted them and they just never did really well in the spot I put them, so about a month ago I moved them, and they like their spot now, at least I assumed they did because they all three bloomed for the first time ever :lol: :lol: But they are all done now, and I thought daylilies bloomed most of the summer :?: I will see how they do next year.

Ginger
New Topic Post Reply