Last week in July - question

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

playinmud

Last week in July - question

Post by playinmud »

It's the last week in July, what's still blooming? All of mine are done for the season, except for 'Chicago Apache', that one is still going strong (a gift from my nephew). Would really appreciate knowing of any late bloomers you can recommend. I want to add 1/2 dozen daylilies or more to my yard; we had a tornado last year and I have so much sunlight I need to put daylilies where my hostas are; poor things are frying. Trying to lengthen the daylily season, hence the question.

Many thanks! :D
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Re: Last week in July - question

Post by Ed_B »

I have a few recommendations you may be interested in
Established clumps of "Bama Girl Tee" and "Ferengi Gold" both start mid season, and both send up new scape"s before the old ones finish up.

mid to late blooming for me now are
Return To Elegance, (Hanson-C., 1999)
height 24", bloom 4.5", season M, Semi-Evergreen, Tetraploid, Fragrant, 20 buds, 3 branches, Cream polychrome with green throat. {[PHAEDRA × (WILBOR HARLING × DANCE BALLERINA DANCE)] × (ANGEL SMILE × MY DARLING CLEMENTINE)}

Glamourwear (Bremer, 2009)
height 26", bloom 5.5", season MLa, Dormant, Tetraploid, Fragrant, 19 buds, 3 branches, Yellow pink polychrome with fine wire gold edge. [(sdlg × Great White) × (sdlg × Great White)]

the latest bloomer I grow, and my personal favorite.
Ruffled Strawberry Parfait (Reckamp-Klehm, 2003)
height 28", bloom 6", season La, Dormant, Tetraploid, Cream and pink pastel blend above gold throat.

I have a bunch of late blooming seedlings, but it will be awhile before I decide what to do with them
Ed
playinmud

Re: Last week in July - question

Post by playinmud »

Thank you Ed, I really appreciate your input! I'm making note of these and will be looking for them.

With all the added sunlight the few daylilies that I have were fabulous this year. The Chicago Apache I mentioned went from two scapes last year to 20 this season. It actually shocked me! Have a lovely day!
Attachments
Chicago Apache
Chicago Apache
~PIM~

°`°º¤ø,¸¸Kindness is the oil that takes the friction out of life¸¸,ø¤º°`°
New Topic Post Reply