WAKE UP! :)

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

downsouthWDE
USDA Zone: 8

WAKE UP! :)

Post by downsouthWDE »

I am new to the daylily forum, and I'm fairly new to daylilies, as well. This place seems to be dead. Maybe because I am ahead of schedule in South AL? Most of mine are nearing the end of their first cycle of blooms. I don't have a bunch of fancy daylilies yet, but I thought I would share a few pics. Please feel free to share some pics here, and give me some ideas of what I just must have next! :D
Pink Ambrosia
Pink Ambrosia
Geneva Firetruck
Geneva Firetruck
Sparkling Orange
Sparkling Orange
Unknown?
Unknown?
Also unknown
Also unknown
Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Re: WAKE UP! :)

Post by Tigger »

Those are very nice. You're right that you are so far ahead of us. (Most of us are hosta gardeners, which just don't grow well as far south as you are.)

I'd be interested in seeing pics of daylilies you can grow that wouldn't be hardy for the rest of us. Are there daylilies only hardy to Zone 8?
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

Very nice blooms! Things have slowed down here on the daylily forum...some new blood would be very welcome to get us going for the new season. Please post any pics you have! :D
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
downsouthWDE

Post by downsouthWDE »

I am a hosta person, too. They grow fine down here, but our season is so long, they peak early and struggle the rest of the year. Most of my hosta are blooming, or are about to. As far as the daylily questions, I can't answer. I am a daylily noob. :wink: I joined this board for the hosta info, but was hoping for a little daylily traffic. 8-)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Very pretty! Mine are setting scapes right now - I am actually surprised a few are as far along! I won't expect to see blooms for another couple of weeks though..... check back because it does pick up here!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
downsouthWDE

Post by downsouthWDE »

Tropical Sensation
Tropical Sensation
downsouthWDE

Post by downsouthWDE »

The Geneva Firetruck changes with every bloom. Both of these photos are of blooms from the same stalk.
Geneva Firetruck
Geneva Firetruck
Geneva Firetruck
Geneva Firetruck
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Wow! I can't imagine how Geneva Firetruck produced that second bloom. Every other photo on the web I can find looks like the first one (red/yellow edge) but none of them have the purple eye and are pale lavender......... are you positive that is the same plant?

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
downsouthWDE

Post by downsouthWDE »

I am 100% sure. That is the reddest, and the palest flower from the same plant. Each were a little different, and most were between these two. The lighter one was a little more red in the middle, and not as purple as it appears in the pic. You can see from the background, that the lighting is different, and one was taken with my phone. :oops:

Here is another from that plant that is between those two in color...
2011-06-05_11-10-7.jpg
New Topic Post Reply