Question about transplanting

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

eastwood2007

Question about transplanting

Post by eastwood2007 »

I'm new to daylilies, thanks to all the lovely seed offerings on this forum.

I got some seeds from Ed (thanks again, Ed) and someone else a couple years ago and now I have MANY lovely daylily seedlings. I planted ALL the seedlings out thinking I may get a dozen or so keepers, but they are all terrific (perhaps only to my untrained eye maybe, but I like 'em). I just planted them in a "field" garden so I could evaluate them after blooming, but now I want to move them into my gardens or give them to friends, etc. As they started to bloom this year, I tried marking them with numbers as to which I liked best, but when they all turned out so beautiful, I quit numbering and am planning to move them all.

So, here's the question (finally, I know :D )...I want to dig and pot them all and wait to see what the bloom is so I can place them where I want according to color, height, etc. If I dig them early in the spring when the fans start showing, will they go ahead and bloom? Or would I be better to dig them this fall, so they can settle into their pots? If I dig them this fall, do I run the risk of losing them thru the winter? What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance! :D
Charla
Latitude 38.57N; Longitude -94.89W (Elev. 886 ft.)
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Re: Question about transplanting

Post by Ed_B »

Char
First of all I don't know what your winters are like

Here in NE WI, cold long winters
I would dig and pot them as early in the spring as possible if this is the direction you go with.
Potted plants may be stunted as to true potential, so it may not give you the desired results.

Another possibility is to dig plants in season making sure you get as much of the root system with dirt as possible, with heavy watering plants might not even show that they were disturbed at all, even if they do they will be well established for the next season.

Daylilies are tough Char, but no matter what way you go you will see the best results in the season after transplanting
Ed
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, Ed. I do want to transplant all of them as I got to see the results this year. The main consideration is knowing what color they are, so I know where to place them. There were a few that were shorter than the rest, but I could probably mark those now, based on the height of the dead bloom scape.

Thanks again for the advice and for the great seeds that these all came from. I did take a few pics early of some that were really nice (or they looked that way to my untrained eye). Once I can find the tags, I'll post the pics so you can see....and will know what cross they are.

Thanks again!
Charla
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

That would be great, I always wonder how they turned out
Ed
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

Charla if it was first years blooms, you better wait and see next year, the blooms will change a lot.. looking much prettier and you can, as ED say, transplant them when you want with a good rootball

Pia
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

Thanks, Pia.

I will take everyone's advice and wait till next year....I didn't want to do it this year, anyway! :lol: Too many other things I am working on right now! :lol:
Charla
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

Well It is OCtober in S.C. and we have had a lot of Rain. My daylileys and Iris were cut back to six inches in Early September ( as soon as OC could get it done this year) look at how much they have grown in the past 2 months. (This Photo was made from OC's deck and manipulated to bring the view closer ).OC's son in law is supposed to come this week and move some of the dayLilies and Iris into a new bed in front of the Kitched Window. This is bed we planrt to plant the new Lilies we ordered from Chris earlier this year. Sure is good to be play flowers this time of year. Will let y9u know how the Daylilies make the move next summer.
Attachments
Old Iris daylily Bed - 3 Daysof Rain.jpg
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

Well here it is the 21 of March and neither the Daylilies or Iris got moved - you know how that goes. SO blooms will still be in the same old place this year. In the bed they were supposed to be moved into, I just saw where I have an Iris stalk with a pod on :eek: :eek: :eek: it. Mercy things are blooming early.
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
eastwood2007

Post by eastwood2007 »

I didn't get anything moved, either, OC! :lol:

Hopefully with this early warm weather we are having, that will help me get all my garden plans/chores completed this year! Wishing the same success to you, my garden friend!
Charla
nanny_56
USDA Zone: 5b
Location: Putnam County, Indiana Lat. 39* 45' 54.2892" Long. -86* 41' 55.9284''

Post by nanny_56 »

I am trying REALLY, REALLY hard to resist the urge to move things around this year. I need to let things be and get settled in and grow! :lol:
Claudia
"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest" - John Muir
kHT
USDA Zone: 7-8 Z-nial

Post by kHT »

eastwood2007, I had a day lily person stop several years ago and she digs both in the spring and fall. I remember she saying she digs more in the spring
and still had them bloom. When we dug ours up last spring, which was early. they did bloom. We decided to put a majority in their own bed so it was
easy to keep track of them. We did have some in pots and the old orange ones are in 5 gallon buckets. We are noting these are shooting up faster than the ones
in the ground.
karma 'Happy Toes' (kHT)
The Goddess is Alive and Magic is Afoot!!!!
I'm just a simple housewife.
Bob Scott
USDA Zone: 5-6

Post by Bob Scott »

I've dug day lilys in all seasons. Even in full bloom and they didn't miss a beat. One of the toughest plants in the garden!
New Topic Post Reply