Daylily bed re-do

Use this forum to discuss Hemerocallis (daylilies).

Moderators: Chris_W, John

Tigger
USDA Zone: 6b - 7a

Daylily bed re-do

Post by Tigger »

We did one of those big jobs tonight which will likely go unnoticed by anyone but us: we dug up all the daylilies at one end of our largest berm (about 16 clumps), enriched the soil by tilling in about 2" of mushroom soil, and then planted everything back again in a different arrangement (having divided the larger clumps into threes).

Most of these had been in the same place, undisturbed, since they were planted 14 years ago!

Of course when they're not blooming it was impossible to know what some of the clumps were. I think the NOIDs are multiples of the ones I do remember. We'll sort it out when they bloom, I hope. I spent a good hour looking through all our photographic records, only to realize that while I had decent "portrait" pics of many of these, I had not a single pic showing blooming clumps in relation to one another. Lesson learned! I'll post a pic here in July, which I hope will show the effects of today's rejuvenation.

David
viktoria

Re: Daylily bed re-do

Post by viktoria »

I realize I may have a biased viewpoint but my idea of a daylily bed redo is to give them all away (two pickuploads last year) and plant hostas!

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Ha! We're doing that in other places, and I snuck in a hosta 'Fat Cat' above the daylilies, where there was too much shade from the amelanchier. When the bed was new, the amelanchier (3) here were small and it was our "sunny" berm. Not so any more!
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

Sounds like quite the job to dig a 14 year old daylily clump!

Last summer I finally went around and tagged all of the daylilies in our display beds when they were flowering. It had been a long time since we'd had new labels put in them. The idea was that we would do just as you did and dig them up and rearrange this spring, but looks like that won't happen. Been way too busy (a good thing) :)

Were they slowing down their flowering, which prompted you to dig and divide?
viktoria

Post by viktoria »

"Sounds like quite the job to dig a 14 year old daylily clump!"

Precisely why I gave them away! The deal was bring your own shovels (and backs), clean up and refill the holes from my aged mulch pile. All I had to do was point: that one goes, and that, and that...and presto! no more crowding and room to plant new stuff.

Viktoria
Many a great tune has been played on an older fiddle.
oldcoot
USDA Zone: 8

Post by oldcoot »

If they didn't get all the roots, they will be back next year. This Old Coot has NEVER been able to CLEAR a Daylily bed. For him they are sort of like Iris - they never die.....Why I raise them ..........Coot :eek: :eek: :eek:
There may be snow in the garden, but there will always be eternal springtime in the heart of this old gardner - Saying of Old Coot
Ed_B
USDA Zone: 4b

Post by Ed_B »

Hosta's like shade, daylilies like sun, digging up old clumps of daylilies is work, so is digging up old clumps of Hosta's.
All the discards from either are placed out by the road, they never are there longer than a few hours.
My whole neighborhood is becoming a daylily mecca from what I've been seeing this spring :beer:
Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Aaaaaand... While we were away for a family reunion, the effing deer ate 90% of the scapes on the replanted daylilies, so we STILL may not know who some of them are this year. During scape season I try to get deer spray on them every few days, but we had rain before and after we left, so there was no chance for them. Grrrr....

The deer also completely demolished every leaf of hosta 'Dress Blues' and most of a humongous 'Liberty' in the same bed.

After the 40-minute hailstorm we had a week ago, there aren't many bright spots left in the garden this summer. There's always next year.

David
thy
USDA Zone: 7

Post by thy »

So sorry David.
Hail and dear, it is just sad.
Can you do an AHA... or is there not space enough ? Do not know how much Space it needs but it will be a lot of digging :(
Against stupidity the gods themselves struggle in vain.
E-mail for pics hostapics@gmail.com
New Topic Post Reply