Summer Squash Tart with Olives

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

Garden_of_Mu
USDA Zone: 7

Summer Squash Tart with Olives

Post by Garden_of_Mu »

From Martha Stewarts Living, June 2005.

Prep time: 30 min. Total time: 55min.
serves 4

3 tablespoons coursely chopped fresh flat-leaf pasrsley
2 tablespoons corsely chopped fresh oregano, plus sprigs for garnish.
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh thyme
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
2 small zuccini, cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
2 small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/8 inch thick rounds
6 sheets phyllo dough (each 12 by 17 inches), thawed if frozen
3 tablespoons of butter, melted
1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives

[side note: I subbed basil for the oregano in one and it was great. also subbed dried oregano in another and also good. I don't like kalamatas so I used regular sliced black olives. And for the crust I used more than six sheets, but then I made it wider too]

1 - Preheat overn to 375. Stir togetehr herbs, garlic, and 3 tablespoons of olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Set aside. Toss zucchini and squash with 1 tablespoon oil in a sperate boil; season with salt and pepper.

2 - Unfold dough; cover each sheet with a clean, slightly damp kitchen towel. Brush rimmed baking sheet with butter. Press 1 sheet of dough into baking sheet. Lightly brush dough with butter. repeat, layering remaining 5 sheets dough and brushing each with butter.

3 - Spread herb mixture over dough. Spread zucchini and sqash on top; top with olives. bake until edges are browned, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool slightly. Cut into 6 pieces; garnish with oregano. Leftover pieces can be refridgerated, in an airtight containor, up to one day.

[I sprinkled some fresh grated parmesan cheese on top after taking it from the oven too.]
Attachments
squash-tart.jpg
~ Mike

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t
matter and those who matter don’t mind.” - Theodore Geisel, aka Dr.
Seuss
Hapygdnr

Post by Hapygdnr »

Mike thanks for posting that recipe. Now just a little longer and the summer squash will be in season here. And then some cooler weather for baking would be good too.

Jeanne
New Topic Post Reply