Need salad dressing recipe

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

LucyGoose

Need salad dressing recipe

Post by LucyGoose »

Hello!!

Does anyone have a homemade dressing that they use that is low salt, sugar & fat? I am going to go Google, but wondered if anyone has a good vinegar one of there own they use.

Thanks!! :P
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Hey LG!

I have a few, but I rarely use a recipe. More like I use an "idea" then modify it for our personal preferences. As far as low fat goes... try mixing low fat/no fat plain yogurt with fresh herbs (garlic, onion powder, parsley, chives and dill is REALLY good) and some skim milk. Makes a wonderful creamy herby dressing and almost no fat at all.

For sweetening/sugar - instead try Splenda, maple syrup or honey.

For vinaigrettes, they are all going to call for some type of oil I think. Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Canola are both "healthy" oils when used in moderation, but they do have fat in them. If you really want to cut down to almost no oil, try different types of balsamic vinegar. Some are so thick and sweet they are almost syrupy and need very little if any additional oil. I am hooked on a black raspberry balsamic right now that is sublime. I love it on salads or roasted veggies.

I do have some dressing recipes you might like - just head for the healthier oils.

Grilled Lemon Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette:
2 lemons, halved, seeds removed and grilled cut side down until golden brown
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped shallot
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
3 cloves roasted garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Squeeze the lemons into a measuring cup to measure 1/4 cup. Place the juice in a blender with the shallot, rosemary and garlic and blend until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified and season with salt and pepper to taste

This one was posted by a friend on another forum, but might fit your needs. Use low fat mayo and sub fat free yogurt for the cream.

Creamy Roquefort Dressing

1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 large shallot, minced
1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
1 large garlic clove, minced
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/3 cup crumbled Roquefort cheese
3 tablespoons whipping cream

Whisk first 5 ingredients in small bowl to blend. Fold in Roquefort cheese and cream. Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)

This is another one I got from a psoter on another forum....

Citrus Dressing

2/3 cup canola oil (not olive)
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
3 TB red wine vinegar
salt to taste
dash dry mustard
1 t. celery seeds

Serve over:

1 head leaf lettuce - washed, dried, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 cup halved seedless grapes
1 11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
2 TB chopped parsley

Combine lettuce, orange, grapes, onions, avocado and half of the almonds in a large serving bowl.

Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Pour some of the dressing on the salad. Toss well. Pour on the rest of the dressing, toss. Sprinkle with parsley and rest of almonds.
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow, Thank-You so much caliloo!! I am printing this out....I was looking at all the different vinagars.....I think they were balsamic vinegars...:lol: All I know is that there were bunches of kinds.....:lol: Will look at all that again....

Thanks again!!! :D
New Topic Post Reply