Carrots, any one?

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

KellieD

Carrots, any one?

Post by KellieD »

Right now the only way DH will eat cooked carrots is with basil and honey(yum!) and I'm hoping someone has another way they fix this vegetable that is tasty. Will you share?!
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

My family likes them when I steam them, then glaze in a little orange juice, butter, brown sugar and cardamom. If you don't have cardamom, you can sub a bit of freshly grated ginger.

Here is another great recipe that I got from the cooking forum on another site:

Baked Baby Carrot Gratin with Horseradish Crumbs (serves 8)
2 lbs fresh baby carrots
Veloute Sauce
2 TBSP butter
1 small onion finely chopped
3 TBSP flour
2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Crumb Topping
1 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 TBSP Hoseradish , squeezed dry
2 tsp fresh thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 TBSP butter melted
Preheat oven to 375.
Butter a 8 1/2 X 12 gratin dish or a 7 X 11 baking dish. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook carrots for about 8 minutes until cooked but still crisp. Drain and spread out in the prepared dish.
While carrots are cooking make sauce. Melt butter in a medium pan over medium heat. Add onion, cook until soft, Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute stirring constantly. remove from the heat gradually stir in stock. Return to the heat and cook until mixture thickens and boils. Add lemon juice and mustard. Drain through a fine sieve, pour over top of carrots.
Combine ingredients for the crumbs and scatter over the carrots. Bake for 20 minutes, until sauce bubbles and crumbs are golden. OR cover and refregerate until needed. Bake cold gratin for 35 to 40 minutes.

Hope you like them!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply