Samosas

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

Herb

Samosas

Post by Herb »

I got this recipe years ago from a girl from Goa.

SAMOSAS

Stage 1

8 oz lean, ground meat - beef, mutton (or even goat)

Cardamom)
Cinnamon) Grind up & mix equal quantities of these 3 spices -
Cloves ) enough to make a heaping dessertspoonful.

1 Teaspoonful of fresh Mint leaves, chopped
Egg-sized lump of Fresh Ginger (finely chopped)
Hot Chilies (how hot and how much - you decide!)

Mix all the above together and cook gently for about 10 minutes. Add just enough water if necessary to keep the mix moist.

Stage 2

Add 2 finely chopped medium sized onions to the above and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes. Then crush two big cloves of garlic in a garlic press and add that and a little salt to the mix and set it all aside.

Stage 3 - Making the layers for the casing

Mix two cups of extra-fine flour with enough water to make a stiff dough. Roll it out, a tablespoonful at a time, into small ovals - fairly thin, but not so as to break up.

Brush each oval with cooking oil on both sides, sprinkle them with flour, and stack them, 5 at a time. Then roll them out again, this time to about half the former thickness. By now each layer should be pretty thin & 4 to 6 inches across.

Put each stack of 5 into a big frying pan and cook the stack gently for about 5 minutes. Then separate the layers.

Stage 4

Put about a good dessertspoonful of the mix that was set aside after stage 2 onto each layer. Then fold the layer over a few times to enclose the mix into the proper 'samosa' shape - i.e. a triangle. Now your samosa's ready to cook.

Stage 5

Deep fry the samosas in good cooking oil for a few minutes until crisp & golden brown. Do not have the oil too hot, or they will open up. But do not have it too cool, or the casings won't be crisp (and they must be crisp). Peanut oil is good, unless you're allergic to peanuts. But I wouldn't use Olive oil - I think it has the wrong flavor.

Stage 6

It's a good idea to let the samosas stand on some layers of paper towel to let some of the oil that got into them during the deep frying to drain out (unless you like them rich...!)

Stage 7

Serve, with quarters of limes. To eat a samosa, first bite off a corner and then squeeze the lime into
the samosa. They're good with beer.

Herb
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Re: Samosas

Post by caliloo »

I just stumpbled across this recipe and it soudns fabulous! The only change I would make is to use wonton wrappers instead of making the dough from scratch. I am a little flour challenged. :lol: I think I will make these for Sunday too - THANKS HERB!

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Herb

Re: Samosas

Post by Herb »

Alexa - I'm delighted to hear you're going to try them. Please be sure to let us know how you like the result.

Herb
New Topic Post Reply