Herb Chef Pack Seed Kit

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

Zack

Herb Chef Pack Seed Kit

Post by Zack »

I have posted before about the "new" kitchen appliance- a hydroponic garden system by AeroGarden.
I just got my winter garden-"Herb Chef". I planted the whole system in less than an hour. It contains 14 culinary herbs, pre- planted.
The system will be available soon in Target, Sears & Home Depot (?). I think in Oct.,07.
The new "kitchen garden" contains Genovese Basil, Parsley,Cilantro, Sage, Lemon Basil, Thyme, Oregano, Red Rubin Basil, Dill, Napolitano Basil, Chives, Mint, Savory & Epasote.
So far, I have had wonderful success-growing my own starts and giving them away - the reward is outstanding. The system is digital, so when I'm away I have a neighbor to come over and check the "lights"-add water, add nurtient or move the light up. This is about a once a week observation.
I always have "fresh" organic salad stuff- the surplus I take to a local restaurant and trade for "home-made" cobbler & ice cream.
The system is "auto" and takes about one minute a day to care for, and it looks darn good in the kitchen.
OK, it's for the "single" or "a couple" resident. Could not feed a family, but they are not sending the "family" into space yet. Check it out, might just be the winter project for you.
Glenn
"Montani semper liberi"-SOS-Live Earth
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

Zack,
After reading your post I went to the Target website and found: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/re ... B000PYH1M6
You just bought the herb pack but which one did you have prior to that that gave you all of the salad greens?
You also say that you grew your own starts and gave them away, so they give you enough seeds to do this and also to grow the greens?
It does look like fun but expensive (can't really tell without seeing it). Guess you must have found that it's worth the price and that too would depend on the harvest and fun factor! Also, as it has its own light source, it shouldn't need to be in a window? Sure looks pretty in the picture. Please give more details as Santa might be glad to have a gift idea this year!
Zack

Fun to garden in the kitchen!

Post by Zack »

My system (the wall garden) cost me almost $400.00 with all the bells and whistles. It has given me back more than I expected, but I am a hermit type. I bought the Master Garden Kit which allowes me the freedom to grow what I want. No mess, no fuss-just let it grow. U can't mess up because the digital lights "blink" and tell you what to do. When I go away, usually two weeks at a time, I have a neighbor come in and check the controls. In the past year I have never had a problem.
The "new" Chef garden is in except for chives, dill, genovese basil & parsley. I'm still growing 4 pods of lettuce for BLT's. I started the Tomatoes in pods and then moved them outside. Really, this system works. + it is beautiful & brings nice comments from friends & neighbors.
If I would have had a system like this in the 60's and it would have been legal- I would be worth a million now.
Glenn (zack)
VThosta/daylilylover

Post by VThosta/daylilylover »

If I would have had a system like this in the 60's and it would have been legal- I would be worth a million now.
:lol: :lol:
I hear you!
I haven't seen the wall garden on line. I'll keep searching. I've seen the Master Garden Kit listed. Thanks for the add'l info. For a few years I've been successful growing basil by just taking cuttings and putting them in water. They root very fast and then I grow them on the window sill in the winter. I also have a big pot of rosemary that I bring in for the winter.
But I would just love to have fresh lettuces! UMMMMMMMM! And I guess this would be a good way as you state, to start plants for putting in pots or outside.
Thanks again for sharing this information!
Zack

AeroGarden.com

Post by Zack »

Go directly to the web site. It has all the information. I think you can get the introductory "special" on line. That's the way I started. Glenn
I want to get another wall garden just for hosta seeds! Perhaps Santa will put one in my stocking! Nice talking with U.
New Topic Post Reply