Indian Spiced Cashews

Share recipes for salads, side dishes, appetizers and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Indian Spiced Cashews

Post by party_music50 »

I wanted to try making something "different" today as a snack food, and had cashews on hand so searched on-line for recipes. The recipe I used was called "Toasted Spiced Cashews", but since it uses garam masala I'd call it Indian Spiced Cashews. It was easy and quick to make, and it was FABULOUS! If you like garam masala and spicy food, you should definitely give it a try!

4 cups unsalted cashews (about 1-1/4 lb.)
1 large egg white, beaten slightly
1/4 cup granulated sugar
4 tsp. garam masala
1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper

Position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 325°F.

In a large bowl, toss the cashews with the egg white, coating the nuts evenly. Add the sugar, garam masala, salt, and cayenne. Toss again to combine.

Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Spread the nuts on the baking sheet and roast, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes and breaking up clumps if they form, until nicely browned, 25 to 35 minutes. Break up any clumps again while the nuts are still warm. When the nuts have cooled, put them in a serving bowl, and cover if making ahead. Makes 4 cups.

MY NOTES: I used salted cashews, so skipped the additional salt. My garam masala is hot, so I only used an additional 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper. I frothed the eggwhite with a fork, added the spices to mix well, then dumped in a bunch of (unmeasured) nuts and mixed to coat. Poured it out onto aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and proceeded from there. Three of us tried it and we all loved it. The texture was perfect... crunchy, slightly sweet, and slightly spicy. We couldn't stop eating it!!!!!!
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Re: Indian Spiced Cashews

Post by pauhaus »

Hey PM, these sound fantastic! I'm gonna give them a try. I've got a good recipe for Rosemary Roasted Nuts I make every year around Christmas. They are always a hit. I'll post the recipe. Thanks for this.
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
party_music50
USDA Zone: z5

Post by party_music50 »

I hope that you like them, pauhaus! We started eating them as soon as they were cool enough (hungry beer drinkers :beer: ) but you really should wait until they're cool enough to crunch. :lol:
~~~ Audrey ~~~
“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good”
Dr. Seuss :)
caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

Post by caliloo »

Just about a year later - and I am making these this weekend. They sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Alexa
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
New Topic Post Reply