St Patrick's Day - what are you making?

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

caliloo
USDA Zone: SE PA z6

St Patrick's Day - what are you making?

Post by caliloo »

Hey all!

Even thought I love Corned Beef and cabbage, I am straying from the usual and making Finnan Haddie or lamb chops and colcannon this year. Of course, I will start the preparations with a dram of good Irish whiskey (and Bailey's for dessert LOL).

I am also making Martha's Irish Soda Bread which is the best recipe I've ever made OR tasted! I'll put that one on the other category though.....

Here's the colcannon recipe I like. BTW I use cabbage.

Colcannon

6 servings 6 servings
45 minutes 25 mins prep

1 1/4 lbs kale, washed with stems removed (can also use cabbage)
2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
1 cup leeks, cleaned chopped (white part only)
1 cup milk
1 pinch mace, ground
salt & pepper
1/2 cup butter, melted

In a large pot, simmer the kale along with oil and 2 cups water for 10 minutes.

Drain kale and let cool a bit before chopping it finely, then set aside and cover to keep it warm.

In a small pot, bring potatoes and water to a boil and simmer until tender.

In another small pot, simmer leeks in milk for 10 minutes, then turn off heat and cover to keep warm.

Drain the potatoes and puree them into the large pot. Add leeks with the milk, and cooked kale. Beat with a spoon or whisk until fluffy, then season with mace, salt and pepper.
Top with melted butter and garnish with parsley if desired.

Yields 6 servings.
Spring - An experience in immortality.
- Henry D. Thoreau
Chris_W
Administrator
USDA Zone: 9

Post by Chris_W »

That sounds very simple. I love potato and leek soup anyway!

My only question... what is mace? I've never heard of it before :hmm:
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Well, I made the corned beef, cabbage, carrots, potatoes yesterday. We love it!

That does sound good......Chris, I remember I have asked that question a long time ago about mace, but never got it and don't remember it.....do you HAVE to have that, Alexa?
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Mace is actually the husk of the nutmeg pod. You can easily substitute a little nutmeg for the mace or you can leave it out altogether. I often leave it out since I don't love nutmeg!

I hope you all give this a go - it is VERY tasty!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Caliloo!

I'm not Irish (well, about 1/8 on my mothers side) but I make Corned Beef -n- Cabbage with a side of potatoes every year as an excuse to invite family and friends over. I have 3 slabs of corned beef in the fridge and will be doing it on Saturday evening this year. I always make plain boiled potatoes, but this year I think I'll try your colcannon.

I'll also make Irish Soda Bread. This year I'm cheating, I got a mix at the specialty food store!

One change this year, the kids in my circle of friends are getting older and bringing girlfriends/boyfriends, and this year there are some new people who are unsure of corned beef and cabbage, so I'll probably do a plain beef roast for those who won't try the corned beef.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

LOL Jane!

I can't imagine anyone not having had Corned Beef & Cabbage :lol: I guess that's my Yankee upbringing rearing it's head. I grew up calling it NE Boiled Dinner and ate it year around. I even love it in the middle of summer.

And yes, I usually make beets on the side even though the rest of my family won't eat them, I still like them for red flannel hash! :lol:

Good luck with the corned beef newbies! Please report back on how it goes.. I am interested in how they like it!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Thanks Caliloo, the colcannon was a hit. I have never used Kale before, it added a nice look and flavor to the potatoes. I'm definately adding this one to my recipe book and doing it again.

I did 3 corned beef briskets and one pot roast (and a pot full of cabbage). There was only a little dab of corned beef left and half the pot roast. Even the guy that is a VERY picky eater tried one piece of corned beef. I consider that a success!

Thanks again!!
JaneG
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Oh Jane!

Yippee! I am so glad you liked the colcannon! We really like it too, and as I mentioned, I usually make it with cabbage instead of kale.

I have one veggie eating kid (and one who looks horrified when there is something green on his plate :lol: ) so I think I will give the kale a try one of these nights. I bet the little one will love it too.

Glad the corned beef was a success too. I'll probably make that too in the next few weeks.

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
whis4ey

Post by whis4ey »

I have never been offered corned beef and cabbage in my life ... I think it is an American invention :lol: :lol: :lol:
(I saw it on a menu in an irish Pub in the Carribean once :))
Your Colcannon is very similar to 'champ'
Champ is a mashed potato with chopped spring onions (scallions) creamed with a little milk and served with a knob of butter salt and pepper. Restaurants over here are now serving it as an alternative way to eat potato with your meal (don't use too much milk or it will be too creamy)
The Colcannon sounds tasty :)
Sam
Fujiyama Japanese Garden

If everyday I have a laugh I add one minute to my life, then surely I will live forever
Hun Ki Dory
(famous Japanese philosopher :)
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Funny you should mention that about corned beef Sam. Here is a quote from one fo the food history sites I like to visit....
It is also associated with Saint Patrick's Day when Irish Americans eat a traditional meal of corned beef and cabbage. According to the History Channel, while cabbage has long been a traditional food item for the Irish, corned beef serving as a substitute for Irish bacon first became traditional in the late 1800s. Irish immigrants living in New York City's Lower East Side sought an equivalent in taste and texture to their traditional Irish bacon (similar to Canadian bacon), and learned about this cheaper alternative to bacon from their Jewish neighbors.
I guss it *is* an American invention! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
Gruntfuttock

Post by Gruntfuttock »

I know it's a bit late, but I took this picture in Toomevara, Co. Tipparary.

Look at the menu in the bottom left.

Zone: This is England we don't do zones. Pick any number between 2 and 11

http://www.zyxwv.co.uk/

There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

:lol: :lol: Irish bacon, huh??? I guess Caliloo's research was right!

I think I'll stick with the "American-ized" corned beef & cabbage!! :D
JaneG
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

It's almost time again . . . Saturday is St. Patrick's Day!

You're all invited over at 4:00 on Saturday with the rest of my family for Corned Beef and Cabbage and all the rest. Tomorrow I stop at the bakery and pick up the Irish Soda Bread, but the rest I'm making.

Who else is keeping up the tradition?? Caliloo???
JaneG
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

Yep - Corned beed and cabbage will be "et" on Saturday night. As usual, I am making carrots, parsnips, potatoes and boiling onions with it. I love the veggies as much if not more than the beef!

I am also having friends in for a Brunch on Sunday. That is going to be a combined American and Irish feast! I am setting up a coffee/tea station complete with Baileys and Jamesons, a juice bar with Bloody Mary mix and vodka and the buffet table with:

Roast Leg of Lamb with mint stuffing
Poached Salmon with a Guinness glaze
Potato, Sausage and Egg casserole
Colcannon
Hash Brown casserole
Marinated veg tray (asparagus, carrots, sugar snaps, etc)
Salad Caprese
Fruit Ka-bobs with dip
Bread Basket (Irish soda bread, muffins, bagels)
Cream Cheese, butter, jams & jellies

Several people wanted to bring something so I've asked them to bring dessert. I know there will be a Baileys Cheesecake arriving, but beyond that I have no idea!

Happy St Pats Day everyone - and whatever you do STAY SAAFE!

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Wow Alexa, your brunch menu sure sounds ambitious and delicious! Have fun and don't work too hard. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
caliloo

Post by caliloo »

THanks Paul!

THis is one of the opportunities for me to let my friends and family know how much they are appreciated - I love cooking for them!

And to be honest - I am a private chef in real life, so I love cooking for all sorts of "events" from picnics to formal dinners. Brunch just happens to be one of my absolute favorites.

Alexa
- Henry D. Thoreau
pauhaus
USDA Zone: 5b

Post by pauhaus »

Alexa, I knew you were a "foodie" just by reading some of your recipes, you've posted a lot of keepers! Thanks for the great recipes. :P
Paul
My Hosta List

“With fronds like you, who needs anemones.”
Libby

Post by Libby »

:D Alexa, you made my day letting it be known you're a private chef! I was starting to feel some remorse about my lack of desire and skill in the cooking department, lol.
Your recipes always make me hungry - you should post some photos of these menus and events!
JaneG

Post by JaneG »

Wow Caliloo, that's pretty neat . . . a private chef! Your brunch sounds delish!! If I were closer I'd figure out how to get on your list of "friends", for all that good food!!!
JaneG
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

Wow Alexa!! I am just making the normal corned beef and cabbage with carrots and potato's with the irish soda bread.....and rye bread too.....I wish I lived close to you too!!

Be safe everyone!! :D
New Topic Post Reply