Butternut Squash Chili

Share recipes for main dishes plus hearty recipes such as soups, stews, chili, and more.

Moderator: Chris_W

JaneG
USDA Zone: 5

Butternut Squash Chili

Post by JaneG »

I had friends over last weekend for Chili, made a big pot of my usual recipe. Then David (who loves butternut squash in any form) suggested I make some with Butternut Squash. So I tried, and it was really good!! Here's what I did . . .

Baked a large butternut squash, then scooped out flesh and processed it in the food processor til it was smooth.

Browned 2 lbs of ground beef (I actually use half ground beef and half ground turkey) with onions and chili powder.

Put the squash and the meat in a large pot, add a can of broth (I used chicken broth) and a can of chili beans.

Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin seed and curry powder. Be a little heavy handed with the cumin and curry.

This was really good. It was "mild" as far a chili goes, but it was very flavorful. You could probably add a can of stewed tomatoes, but I didn't want to loose the flavor of the butternut squash base.
JaneG
Start slowly . . . then taper off.
LucyGoose

Post by LucyGoose »

:hmm: Now that sounds different, Jane.....We have been eating the squashs a lot here.....I have about 3 kinds sitting here.....Have you tried one called Heart of Gold yet? Oh man, that is probably my favorite forever now....very sweet and just GOOD! It is a acorn squash I hear.....

Thanks Jane and will add some butternut to chili........Maybe for the chili cook off we go to next year! :D
New Topic Post Reply